Posts by LeanneW

AWESOME advice. Thanks for sharing your practiced technique. I always wonder if this method actually works, because in theory it sounds like it would.  I've never had to freeze a cake, but now that I know I can, I might try this. My family live about 200 miles away and I rarely visit them, so unfortunately they end up with a lot of grocery store bought birthday cakes. If I knew they could freeze them, I could bring them up with me when I visit. How long do you think a...
I think the most important things are to represent yourself accurately to your customers, if carving and 3d cakes aren't your thing, then don't put them in your portfolio. truthfully, carved cakes aren't my strength either, I did like 99% wedding cakes.   Every time I had a carved cake, I wouldn't charge enough, I would underestimate how long it would take, I would stress like crazy that they would hate it. So I just stopped doing them.   Of course, just because you...
Hi Tasteetreats,   You likely live near a place that offers Wilton classes. You might find it helpful to have an instructor demonstrate and help you hands-on. Wilton classes are very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the basics of decorating, including leveling and applying fondant. Of course you will use all Wilton products and methods in the class, so after you learn the basics you can expand into other types of tools and methods. But I highly recommend Wilton...
Glad to see this post got back on track, let's talk about renting kitchens!   I have previously rented kitchens, one by the hour and the other monthly.   When I rented my kitchen by the hour I had to enforce a minimum order of $500 for a cake and I would only take cake orders for Sat or Sun deliveries, since I wanted to do all my baking on one day to be more efficient. I was fortunate and shared a kitchen with 4 cakemakers, where we all payed the owner cakemaker...
Great job, practice does make perfect and you will achieve your goal.  I know you can make a wedding cake!
I would go with edible images here too.   Print the entire keyboard on edible image, roll out black fondant the thickness of the keys, stick on image, then cut out and place each individual key, for the most realistic look.   Also, just a thought if you end up doing them by hand... you could put something on the keyboard to cover half of it so you don't have to make as many keys. Something that the birthday boy likes, maybe a cake version of his favorite book, or drape...
It really sounds like you're doing everything right!   And the difference between 238 and 240 in this recipe is negligible, but 245 is a little hot, you don't want to see any amber color to the sugar.   I cook my syrup on the highest heat. I put the sugar and water in the pot, place on the heat, stir once at the beginning and then don't stir again. If you are concerned about crystals you can brush the sides of the pot with water while it cooks, but I don't bother with...
I don't think the crystallization would cause the cottage cheese like texture, although the crystallization is undesirable   Your syrup ingredients sound right, It sounds like you're not using a thermometer? it is important that you cook your syrup to soft ball, 238 degrees. In my experience it takes at least 10 minutes to cool with the mixer running.   One more question... did you pour your syrup into the egg whites while the mixer was running? it is an art form but...
Hopefully my advice isn't too late, but... I would use white chocolate ganache instead of BC to glue it back together.   When the ganache sets, even at room temperature, it will hold together better than BC.   And I agree, if this were a cake for a client, or even a cake that you were going to stack or carve, I would bake another one. But your family will be quite happy to eat your repair job I'm sure! My family would even eat it in a pile with the BC blobbed on top....
Wow, these are amazing, I didn't know Chef Rubber made these. Definitely need to get some and play with them. Thanks Lisa!   http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Edible-Glitter-c-1939/