Posts by SugarplumStudio

Every one of my employees signs a non disclosure agreement upon hire with a non compete clause ( for specified items). It's not logical to have only one person in this facility know any one recipe exclusively.
I'm a Bucks Co transplant currently in NJ.To the best of my knowledge, Newtown township is a yes, while Hatboro, Horsham and Abington townships are a no for zoning. At least that was as current as a couple years ago?
This may or may not be helpful, but just throwing in mympennies worth. Since you're considering PA and NJ, assuming it's the greater Philadelphia region, the answer is an emphatic no, unfortunately. Pp was right. Municipal zonic laws are a bigger hurdle. None of the townships within Mercer, Burlington, Camden or Gloucester counties in NJ will allow an out building on residential property for food related business,, even if it's dual zoned. I live in Camden County, my...
I was just checking in to see how it went! Congratulations! Good for you! Have fun with it!
I wanted to chime in since I hire bakery personnel all the time. I'm not overly impressed with big beautiful portfolios. What impresses me are people who show up on time, do the job they were asked to do within the time expected and can work independently as well as part of a team. Basic skills are necessary. Finesse and speed come with experience, which can only be gained by doing. Present yourself and your skill level truthfully. They'll probably have you decorate a...
You can request a postponement. If it isn't granted, I would tell the bride that you may not be able to do the cake if you are called, then it is up to her. You can protect yourself if your contract. I have the unpopular opinion that you should not try to "get out" of jury duty, no matter what. Part of living in a democracy is the right to be tried by a jury of your peers. You can't live under the blanket of rights afforded by the US Constitution then refuse to abide by...
I had to complete a 3 year apprenticeship when I was in school. Some years later, I was in the position to hire interns myself. Although I can't help you by giving you specific places to apply to, I can offer some tips to secure a position if it helps.Does your school have a list of registered and approved shops/bakeries/catering facilities, etc? Most culinary schools have job assistance and placement programs. If you have to find a place yourself, some bakeries are...
Thanks, Grace. I'm in.
I agree with pps. I think your cake is beautiful, but that is exactly why I never, ever, ever take an order in which the customer has instructed me to do something "festive...birthday.....spring-like.....fall-ish.....etc, etc"If they want to leave the design up to me, that's fine, but before I even begin the cake, I make contact with them detailing exactly what I am going to do.I would say that MOST times, they want some kind of change. Figures LOL
I teach basic cake decorating at free community interest classes at local libraries. It's really a lot of fun, so don't be nervous! First thing to remember is that someone taking a basic decorating class really knows nothing about decorating a cake, so they rarely have a certain expectation. YOU are the expert and trust me, whatever you say or do will be perceived as bible truth. LOLI provide a list of specific tools and tips needed weeks in advance. My students purchase...