Posts by mjs4492

I use fabric glue (Hobby Lobby fabric section) to attach ribbon to foam boards. I guess it's probably like the glue sticks in most arts & crafts depts.
??? not sure what's happening with my posting today ??? sorry!!
I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two. I've read on another thread on this topic that people use the Alpine in winter months and Sweetex when it's warmer. It's never really "winter" here so I guess that's why I only use the Sweetex.I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste...
I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two.I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste better, work easier and definitely holds up in a warmer/humid climate like mine. I've not tried other brands though other than Alpine. Very interesting topic!Good luck!
I use the Sweetex - because a cake shop near me sells it in 2 lb blocks. I've used Alpine in a bind (usually if I have forgotten to get some more Sweetex) and did not notice a difference between the two.I'm a true believer that something about the Sweetex makes the icing taste better, work easier and definitely holds up in warmer/humid climate like mine. I've not tried other brands though other than Alpine. Very interesting topic!Good luck!
If food safety is a problem, you can always put a cake board/circle under the cake so it is not touching the board.
I recently asked this question and found some boards online that are super sturdy - "logicpic" is the website.I normally use the 1/2" foam core boards mentioned earlier but if your cake is leaning toward the heavy side, fondant for example, I'd either double the boards or go with the plywood. I haven't used cake drums so I have no experience with those.
I was going to suggest the durable cake mix recipe here also. However, when I made it, the cake wasn't completely done even with using flower nails in the center. I use 3" deep pans though. I experimented with the recipe at least 4 times and just couldn't master it.I use this recipe for all my cakes and so far have had real good luck with it:1 box Duncan Hines cake mix (any flavor) - for the chocolate mixes I decrease the water to 3/4 cup, especially the Devils Food...
I buy it at Hobby Lobby in the art supply section as mentioned before. It comes in rolls and I think it's about $3 per roll. I like this type because it has a matte finish that won't take away from the paper, etc. that you are covering. (Not shiny in other words).
I may be steering you wrong, but I cut the boards (whether it's cardboard or 3/16" foamboard) about a 1/4" smaller in diameter than the cake that will sit on top of it. Then there is no worry of it showing at all. This way allows you to use either a small bottom border, no border, or one that is larger.Good Luck on your cake!!