Posts by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

The only thing I did differently that I know of is that I used two 8" x 3" pans instead of my 9" x 1.5" pans. Hmmmm, wonder if that caused my problems.
Thanks, cabecakes, but these are the same racks I've been using for a while - not new or cheap (at least not Really cheap) . Besides, in an effort to not have to keep piling things in the sink to be washed later, I've been using a piece of wax paper or parchment paper between the cake and the rack, so there's really no direct contact. Thanks for giving it some thought and giving me another idea as to why it might have happened.
Thanks so much for the information. I never really understand all the science to baking (I'm ashamed to admit ). No, I only used the regular Hershey's cocoa. As a matter of fact, the last time I tried to buy the dark version, the store didn't have it! But unless they changed the formula over the years, this is the same one I've always used.I don't know....maybe somewhere during the baking process I had a blond or senior moment - no offense to anyone! I thought I did...
Actually the cost to me is about $125-140 (I'm guesstimating the cost of electric since I really have no idea). And my hubby brought up the same point about the photo for my portfolio.Yes, I've baked in the past for Back to School Nights and unfortunately they only got me three cakes and that was about three years ago! Luckily my neighbor keeps me busy and is the one who referred me to the mother of the twins who purchased a cake and cookies (which totaled $248.25). Oh...
Thanks for the opinions.I'm waiting to hear back from the principal, but in the meantime I've been contacted by the alumni committee member again who said she'd call the principal up early Monday morning. She also said that they were sort of planning on about $300 to be allocated towards the cake (they didn't anticipate such a large turnout) and with the cost of the food and the cake they barely had enough for the DJ and some left over for the scholarship fund.So I...
Okay, this year my elementary school is having it's 2nd annual reunion. Last year there was a reunion just for my graduating class (1983) and I volunteered to do the cake. I actually donated it. (You can see it at:http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1223039).Well I received many compliments on it and this year the principal told the alumni committee that she wanted me to do the cake again. I don't remember if it was one of the members...
I used regular cocoa powder (Hershey's, to be exact). This is what I've always used when making this recipe. As for the baking soda, I had my hubby do a run to the supermarket to pick up a fresh box (just in case). The baking powder is not old at all. Besides I used it in the other cakes and they all turned out well, including the new chocolate cake I made to replace this icky-tasting one.I'm thinking it might have been either one of the eggs, maybe I overbeat the mix...
So sorry I didn't respond again sooner than now. For some reason I never received notice by e-mail of any replies....oh well, I'm here now. lolI'll try to do this in order:Nope, no canola oil. As a matter of fact this recipe did not call for oil and when a recipe does I always substitute the oil for apple sauce.I'm really lending creedance to the egg theory as I remember at some point, there was an egg (don't know if it was in this cake or one of the other three that I...
Here's the one I use that I got off of CC a few years back: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/resize.phpMaybe this is the one you're looking for. HTH