Posts by monizcel

I'm a newbie here, and I would like to experiment with combining cake flavours and fillings.Can you give me some good combinations that are potentially starting points?I'm trying to decide if alternating layers of yellow cake/chocolate cake with vanilla/chocolate BC or vanilla/chocolate/strawberry filling would be good? too much? etc.Thanks.
Congrats on your 1st anniversary!How about a simple piped border (shells, rosettes etc.) around the top and bottom of the cake with a single large rosette in the centre or some other pattern in the centre as you wish.You can ice in chocolate BC and then do the borders/accents in a darker shade of chocolate or white BC for contrast (or flip the colours depending on which flavour(s) you like better).Or another elegant option is to make a chocolate ganache, cover the entire...
I am planning on making a stacked cake next weekend (for fun). I am planning on making a strawberry filling (with BC, jam and syrup) as discussed in a previous post. I am fairly new to cake decorating and I'm having a great time decorating the cakes and experimenting with new flavours and recipes.My question is what flavour of cake is better (chocolate or yellow) and what type of icing/frosting (chocolate, vanilla or ganache) should cover the cake.I love chocolate cakes...
Looks fabulous
I would like to attempt a white cake with a strawberry BC filling. I wanted to use a ready made vanilla frosting or make my own BC.Can I take ready made frosting, add strawberry jam and some strawberry syrup or are there some good recipes out there? Thanks for your help.
I'm somewhat new to cake decorating and wanted to make a tiered cake with ganache icing.Can I stack the cakes (buttercream between the 2 layers of each tier), dowel the cake and then pour ganche over the whole cake or will it not turn out smoothI was thinking of making 6" and a 10" tiers. This is a practise cake and DH and my cousin will eat the cake even if it turns out badly as long as it tastes good .Or is it best to make a stacked cake (ie. 3 8 inch layers with...
I just got married in May. We knew upfront that we were having a complete sweet table (4 types of cake) along with a chocolate fountain. It was very important to my mother for us to have a wedding cake to cut. We had 300 guests and order a small 3 tier cake (serves 60). The cake looked gorgeous.My parents took the bottom 12 inch layer and served it the next day to friends, family and neighbours. My in-laws did the same with the middle layer.My husband and I just...
I'm starting out with cake decorating and have a question on the type of frosting used.Currently when I need frosting I run to the grocery store and pick up the Betty Crocker/Duncan Hines frosting. I find that the smaller containers usually mean I don't have to store opened frosting in the fridge until next time and it's really convenient to pick up the frosting at the last minute.Does using the Wilton BC icings (thin and medium consistency) really help with the cake...