Posts by GeminiRJ

How wonderful to know that there is someone else out there who thinks decorated cookies should cost more than cupcakes! I'm constantly amazed at people who plunk down $3 for a simply decorated cupcake (just a swirl of icing...no decorations) yet stare at me in horror when I want to be paid $2 for a nicely decorated 3"-4" cookie. While I'm not begruding the cupcake decorator, I'd love to not have to justify a similar price for a cookie that took 15 minutes to decorate...
Your prices seem really low. Have you done research into what the pricing is in your area for similar products? Even the mass produced cookies at my local grocery store would cost more than what you want to charge!
This is a tough one! If you can make more than 200 comfortably, I'd do that. Priced reasonably, I would think you could sell to more than 1 out of every 5, especially if there won't be other food vendors. Have some different sizes available so you can have different price points. However many you decide to go with, be sure to have plenty of business cards to hand out!   I'd love to hear the outcome, so keep us informed!
Glace dries firm to the touch, but soft underneath. I can usually bag or stack about 24 hours after I've finished decorating, or overnight if I need to push it. Doing detail work in glace isn't too much of a problem, as long as you don't want a 3D look (like BC flowers). Glace needs to be fairly thin, so you can't get a nice thickened depth like you can with royal. All my outlines are done with a #1s tip, using thickened glace (about the consistency of peanut butter)....
I love glace! I like that I don't need to go to a specialty store for any of the ingredients. It's a comfort to know if I'm decorating some last minute cookies on a Sunday night and run short of icing, I can just run down to the grocery store and get the ingredients. My favorite recipe:   3 cups powdered sugar, sifted 3 tablespoons milk or water (I use skim milk) 3 tablespoons corn syrup 2 tsp. extract Optional: 15-20 drops brite white food color   You...
The most important thing to keep in mind when shipping cookies is that you don't want them to move around inside the package. While I only decorate in glaze, I've received both RI and fondant decorated cookies by mail. As long as they were securely packed, no problems.   I once shipped odd shaped cookies that I worried would break. I cut a cardboard shape that I used on the back of the saranwrapped cookie to add some extra strength. I then wrapped both in small...
The one rule of thumb that you'll hear over and over for pricing decorated cookies is $1 per inch. You can use that as a starting point. So a 3" round cookie would be $3. A 3"x4" cookie would be $3.50. If there aren't a lot of colors and the design is fairly simple, lower the price. If it's a time-consuming design (lots of detail) raise the price. That said, so much depends on where you live and what the market will bear! Check around at your local bakeries and see what...
I use "Goof Off", small yellow can with a red top and red lettering. Excellent! I really dislike the smell, and you have to be careful because it's (I'm told) bad on plastic, but great on metal and glass for getting the glue from price tags off. Quick and easy.
You can also look for sales on large, simple cutters and re-bend them into the shapes you need.
When you need your cookies to be the same size and shape after baking as before, here's what you do: as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, re-cut them using the cookie cutter. The cookie should be soft long enough to do this. You'll find that you have more crumbs off the cookies, so keep that in mind. To reduce the crumb issue, you can try re-cutting them half way thru the bake time and then returning to the oven to finish. It can get to be a pain if you have a...