Posts by GeminiRJ

I use an off-set spatula. Works great! I first pipe a line of icing around the perimeter and then fill in with the same tip in a zig-zag pattern (#4 for large areas, #2 for small areas). So you basically have a lot of naked cookie with lines of icing all over it. Then I use the spatula to smooth out the icing over the entire cookie.
The easiest way to decorate baseball cookies would be to flood them white, let the icing dry, then draw the "stitching" on with a food color pen. You'd only have one color icing to worry about! I use glaze, which would need to dry overnight before adding the details. You could bag fairly quickly after that, just make sure the food color has had a chance to dry.   Glaze recipe: 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted 3 tablespoons milk or water 3 tablespoons corn...
I would think you'll be fine with the glassine bags for individual cookies. It sounds like the cookies you will be selling will stay fresh enough without needing air-tight packaging. Plating some and covering with plastic wrap would be good, though, for those who want to purchase a set of cookies. Best wishes on a successful sale!  
Sometimes I bake the cookies and freeze them for up to a week before decorating. Sometimes I bake and decorate on the same day. I try to time it so that there is no more than four days between when I start decorating and when the cookies will be eaten, and less if I can make it work! I rarely do large orders (anything over 3 dozen) so I'm not stressing out about getting lots of cookies done in a short amount of time. Since I rarely sell my cookies, smaller batches for...
Go to Karen's Cookies and try her chocolate chip roll-out recipe. Yummm! It's been a while since I've used it, but I don't believe it spread much at all. I posted a peanut butter recipe here that also has very little spread that is very tasty...provided you like peanut butter.
No, I've never frozen them because I worry too much about the cold ruining the finish. But my MIL has frozen them, and they seemed to be okay. I just worry I won't be so lucky!
Glace is all I use! I store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and try to use it within about 10 days. It will still taste fine, but the finish isn't quite as nice once it's been sitting for too long. For every cup of powdered sugar, I add 1 tablespoon each of milk and corn syrup, 1/4 tsp. extract, and about 5 drops of brite white food color (helps with the transparency of the icing and gives a nicer look, IMO.) Your decorated cookies should be ready for...
I like to decorate cakes with cookies, too! Especially easy are making candle cookies and using them on birthday cakes. I find that decorating cookies helps me relax and de-stress....way cheaper than therapy!!!
  I can see your point. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, but a good observation by you!
My MIL freezes her frosted brownies all the time. I think she just puts them in tupperware and freezes them that way. I'd rather put them in ziplocks and then place in the tupperware. (Only using the tupperware to protect the brownies from getting squashed by other items in the freezer.)