Posts by Solobaker

I see a lot of cakes on this website with flowers, butterflies, etc. that are attached to wires in the cake. This is a very cute technique. Can anyone give me guidelines on how to do this with cakes frosted in buttercream? It may be obvious, but I wanted to make sure there is not some special way or special wire to use. Can you use any wire? What gauge of wire should be used? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
You can purchase Dream Whip at most grocery stores. It comes in a small box and then has 2 or 4 envelopes of the dry powder per box. At least that's how it is around my area (Minnesota)
Yes! I can't wait to try the homemade version of the Wilton's cake release. I love that stuff! I've been using it for a couple of years and even though it was a bit expensive--I decided that it was worth the cost and definately a must-have item. I've never had any cake stick even a tiny bit. Now to find out there is a homemade (cheaper) version that works just as good! For the decorators that have made it--how long will it stay good and did you just store it in a...
I like to use a 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp. butter and 1/4 tsp. of almond flavorings in my Wilton Class buttercream. I also sometimes replace 1/2 cup of shortening with 1/2 cup of butter.
Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Help! I know I read somewhere how many dowels to put in a 16" round cake, but now I'm about to dowel my cake for a wedding and I can't remember where I read it, nor do I remember how many! I'm doing a 3-tiered stacked cake. First tier, 16", 2nd tier, 12" and 3rd tier 8". I'm pretty sure I put 5 dowels in the 12" to support an 8" cake. Help!
Does anyone know if the Baker's buttercream recipe on here needs to be refridgerated. I'm using this icing for a wedding cake tomorrow and while there are no dairy products in it, I have to be sure it will be okay to be out from tonight until the dinner tomorrow evening.
Tmriga, no the recipe I used is called Baker's Buttercream and it's on this website. I will try adding some meringue powder next time to see if it will crust. And to answer amberhoney's questions, crisco is a brand of shortening which is basically lard. And 1 stick of butter is 1/4 pound. I belive most grocery stores carry superfine sugar.
Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been home since I posted this discussion. ctorno's reply above is the correct link for the baker's buttercream recipe that I used. Or here is the link again. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2114-0-Bakers-Butter-Cream.html Sorry, I didn't post it yesterday. The only problem I found with this recipe is that it doesn't crust and it may be a little too soft for flowers like roses. Does anyone know of any suggestions for...
I have always been so reluctant to trying new recipes and I usually use a basic BC recipe for my customers. I've seen different recipes on here and other websites, and I've always wanted to try them. I have tried one or two fillings, but I was not too pleased on how they turned out. And it seems like a pain to try new things, because I have to buy new ingredients that I'm not used to and then what if it doesn't work out? I always get asked if I do fillings and other...