Posts by Jamaw

Has anyone ever used different kinds of mediums to fill in outlined pictures on your cakes? Like thined marsmallow cream? Ganache? Cooled melted chocolate mixed with sweetened condensed milk? I have some pictures to do on a graduation cake (like the school logo) and first thought I would do frozen buttercream transfers, but would really like them to have more of a puffed look instead of a flat look. Just wondering if anyone has a good technique to use. Don't want to make...
Wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for making tissue paper for a gift box cake. Is it best to use fondant/gumpaste, or can rice/wafer paper be used? Any thougts would be appreciated! Thanks, Tonya
when doing the geletin techinigue to make wings, is there a rule about how large a wing can be made? Could I make an 8 inch dragonfly wing, or would it be too flimsy? I have to make a sculptured insect cake and would like the wing to be see-through and realistic. Just haven't seen many pictures of wings that are large using the geletin. If not, would I be able to make them out of a very thin piece of gumpaste that has dried for a few days ? Any help would be appreciated!...
I've had an unusual reguest for a sculptured spidar cake with dragonfly wings. I've been reading things about the geletin technique and was wondering if this worked in a larger scale. And if so how was it accomplished. Can you buy sheets with the veining look already in them and then cut to the size you want? So many questions I need answered!!! Is there a 24 hour hotline???LOL Any help would be appreciated! While I'm asking does anyone have a cool trick to make the cake...
Has anyone ever had a problem with their candy clay being too soft and stretchy to make roses? I made the recipe, melted 1 bag of red wafers, added 1/3 cup corn syrup, let it sit overnight, and nothing but problems. I have even tried making them out of Duff red buttercream fondant and it is also to soft. Is there anything I can add to stiffen either product up? Any suggestions would be greatlly appreciated!!! Thanks, Tonya
I will be doing a wedding cake in a few weeks and of course the cake my client picked out was done in fondant but she wants buttercream instead. The cake has cascading flowers down the sides of the four tiers. What is the best way to attatch the flowers to the soft buttercream so that they aren't falling off? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Can anyone tell me where I might find the pattern or pictures for the design on this cake? Thanks so much!!! Tonya
I too have my qualms about doing cakes. I also find it as my creative outlet, and not a profit making machine!LOL I have anguished over trying to start an official bussiness, but have never thought I would have a strong clientel. Not to mention how slow I am decorating. I'm going tomorrow to a class about business ownership, but not for decorating, I think I'll check on openning a supply shop. I definitely know there is a market for that in my area! You have to drive...
I would like to decorate a cake with thin chocolate hearts that are curled or bowed(like when we let leaves dry on our half round things, can't think of what they are called!--flower formers?) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would know how I could achieve this? Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated!
Why do my cakes bulge in the middle everytime I do a fondant cake? Am I putting to much icing in between the layers? It never fails, the cake looks perfect at first, but then after a short time, presto--it's bulging--of course, after the other decorations are already on it and I can't fix it! It's times like this that make me want to quit all together!