Posts by ljdills

I really want to try the messy ruffle look as seen on the bottom tier of this cake.  I've tried googling to see if I could find directions or a tutorial but I'm not sure what it is called.  Can anyone help me ?  I tried figuring it out on my own and think I may have the just of it, please tell me if I'm anywhere close...  I've cut circles and ruffled the edges and tried folding them up, but when the fondant is still soft they just kind of collapse on me.  Any tips and help...
Wow CraftyBanana you need to start a thread with gourmet cookie flavors and recipes !
I saw that someone had made a green tea WASC with green tea infused cream cheese filling.  Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share ?  I love the idea and would like to give it a try.
What ? How ?  I'm so confused.  Would maggots get in a cake ?  How long would it have had to sit there ?  That isn't really something that would happen overnight.  I talked with someone who had once gotten a cake from a bakery and when they got it home and cut it there was mold on the bottom.  But I can honestly say this is the first live maggot cake I've ever heard of !  Bless her heart.  I can not imagine.  Disgusting !
Just beginning to work with modeling chocolate so looking for tips.... So I'm bumping...
I have the Cricut Cake bought it when they first came out and I enjoy using it, but I would love to be able to cut any image.  That is amazing !  So, with the Explore you can pull up any image, link and cut?  That is definitely worth checking into.
I am making a 3D Hello Kitty cake.  The head is RKT, I've not worked a lot with RKT and I am struggling with how to put a dowel in it without it breaking apart the RKT and / or coming all the way through out the top of the head.  Is there a trick I'm missing ?  I have coated the head in melted chocolate to keep it together and firm and I put melted chocolate on the dowel before inserting it, but it just comes straight through the top of the head.  Also, she wants no...
I make MMF and if I have a color like red or black I add gel color (AmeriColor) into the melted marshmallows before adding the powdered sugar.  Doing this always give me rich, dark colors.  In fact, if I have a lot of any certain color to do on a cake I add the coloring first it saves from doing all of that kneading !   This is some red and black I have left over from some cakes earlier in the week.  Sorry about the quality of the pics, but it gives you an idea.
I just had a conversation with my husband this morning about not only do you have to deal with people having what I call the "Wal-Mart mentality" (the attitude of "well I can get a cake at Wal-Mart for $15") you all know what I'm talking about, but you also have to compete with a million people out there who think because they've mastered the star tip that they should sell their cakes.  Honestly there is one lady locally and 85% of her cakes have fondant cut out polka dots...
The dam is to keep you from having a bulge or having the filling coming out so it doesn't matter if you are covering the cake in buttercream or fondant you will still want to have a dam to prevent either of those two things from happening.