Posts by movingritealong

Nope totally sane, it's the rest of the world that's crazy! Nice to see other peggers on here!
That's a funny cake! lol
Had she contacted me and sated CALMLY that this wasn't what she had expected, and there was a misunderstanding, ABSOLUTELY I would have given her at least 1/2 back. or even better a 'next cake is free' coupon. I am the QUEEN of good customer service. I demand and expect it of others, and give it completely. But I DON'T believe the customer is always right, and there is such a thing as being a good customer too. Even after the first email, (while I stewed a bit) had she...
Oh absolutely! I take my share of the responsibility as well. I'm just saying that I AM learning, and this has been a valuable lesson. HOWEVER...like we've all chuckled about, I do NOT take responsibility for ruining her son's party! Now, had I shown up with the cake and thrown it at the mom...THAT may have ruined the party!
Thanks SO much everyone! I'm glad I'm not nuts!!For the record, I posted my ad on Facebook and said that I was 'just starting out' and 'trying to build my portfolio'. Facebook is where she found me. I'd say that she was looking for a cheapy version of the cake, so contacted me. Well and good, but I SAID I'm a beginner! You MAY want to make sure I know what you want! Ah well, live and learn. Cake #2 going out this afternoon, I'll post pics later. (Nothing like the smell of...
Well, I emailed her with my apologies (twice I apologized!) and told her that it was a misunderstanding. I also suggested that next time she orders a cake with that in mind, to tell the person that she wants a shaped cake. And, as she told me not to use her as a reference, of course I wouldn't but that I'd likely use the picture as part of my portfolio/advertising, with no mention of who ordered the cake.Well, she emailed me back and ranted about how I've ruined her son's...
Thanks. And I've certainly learned a lesson about that!
I made my first 'Stranger' cake today, and sent it off, all proud of myself, cause she asked for a 'cake that looks like a Montana jersey'. So, originally it was for 10-15 people, then she changed it to 15-20. SO..I made a 9x13, double layer cake, spent a ton of time getting the jersey looking right, did grass around the sides, and sent it off with her brother. I get an email back saying how 'disappointed she was' and how she 'could have bought the same thing for $15 at...
Well, I hadn't really MEANT this to be a discussion on sugar vs. hyperactivity! I was just looking for a less sweet option, and I'll certainly try that recipe, thank you. But perhaps on one of MY cakes first.I'm still amateur enough that I"m not doing tastings, it's more a 'what flavour do you want?' And she requested chocolate with white icing, so that's what she's getting!
OK, so YAY ME! I have my very first cake order from a stranger!! My question is this: Normally, I've iced the cake in BC, and simply decorated on that. I'm looking for a lighter icing to ice the cake and decorate over. I find BC to be VERY thick and WAY too sweet, and this is for a 1 yr old. He'll be flying WAY high on this! lolSo? Any ideas? It would have to be something that would at least sort of crust.