Posts by knel

I was in Michael's in the clay/sculpting section and came across some plastic molds used for making doll faces. Has anyone ever used these for fondant/gumpaste? Do you think they would work? I didn't buy them, but considering it....
Would you please add me to your list of people to send a copy of the matrix? kanelson28@yahoo.com Thank you so much!
I have come to realize that I am a little "OCD" when it comes to my cake decorating. I would spend HOURS just trying to get that perfectly smooth icing before doing another thing.... (Thanks again, Melvira, for a trick to take care of that...). In watching Ace of Cakes one night, I heard Duff say, "Hey, it's just cake!" So, I've TRIED to take on that same attitude, and it really has helped me to relax a little. Actually not being so worked up about it has helped me...
I always cut a piece of parchment paper the length and width of my ribbon to place behind it on the cake to absorb any grease. HTH
My feelings are hurt! I am a PUBLIC school teacher, have taught fourth grade for 9 years, and must say that my students knew history when they left me and my classroom at the end of the year. Generally, most of my students would say that history was their least favorite subject in my "beginning of the school year student survey", and by the end of the year, when I gave the same survey, most of them said history was their favorite. While one of my personal...
Ok, CC! I'm pumped... don't have a reason to make cupcakes, but I think I need to come up with an occasion quickly... perhaps a "Happy Friday" occasion...??? You CC people are great! Thanks for sharing!!!
That's what my hubby keeps telling me, "They are coming to you. They are obviously impressed and pleased with your work. If they aren't pleased with the price, they can go to Walmart or elsewhere." It's just easier said than done...I have a basic price list I use for my stacked cakes and sheet cakes. But they are only BASE prices. (Much lower than what I'veseen most of you on CC charge, and a little lower than local grocers' costs.) This includes borders and a...
I definitely need a backbone!!! I have a really hard time, especially with family and close friends. Part of me feels like they just expect me to give them a GREAT discount/or FREEBIE due to the relationships. I especially have a hard time with sculpted/carved cakes, fondant figures, etc... My husband fusses at me all the time that I'm not charging enough for my time put forth, but I don't know if I could ever really be paid fairly for my time put into decorating a...
Also, look for trouble spots in the cutters. (ex. the little crossbar on the A or the middle of the letter B, etc...) The smaller, skinnier areas are where the fondant tends to stick. Try widening it slightly. I use my flower nail to make it a little bigger. HTH
Try chilling/freezing your fondant for a few minutes right before use. I have found this to help me... it keeps the fondant from being quite so sticky...