Posts by caryl

Agree with all the above! I use high ratio shortening to help counter some of the greasiness, salt and lots of flavoring (almond is my fave) to cut the sweetness. Swiss Meringue Buttercream seems to be the most popular around here. It satisfies those who want a sweet icing, yet is not too sweet for those who prefer the more buttery taste, and I love working with it! It smoothes beautifully, is easy to make- once you get the hang of it, and can be stiffened with a little...
BRAVO homecook!
I list my 12 x 18 as a half sheet- serves 54 (2 x 2 inch slices)- $70 (recently raised price from $65). Full sheet is 18 x 24 (or two 12 x 18's)- serves 108 (2 x 2 inch slices)- $135 (recently raised price from $110).This reflects only $1.25 per serving! DH keeps reminding me that the same serving of cake in a restuarant would probably start at $4, and says "If they want to go the cheap route and sacrifice taste and style, then let them go get a generic grocery store...
If you can't cut the styrofoam cleanly enough- maybe pipe disks of meringue and smooth them into the little cake layers. Or if you want non- perishable- try that expanding foam that you get from the hardware store. Once it is dry you can cut it and sand it and it would be light weight for an ornament. Then use the joint compound/ spackle for the icing, and glitter, etc. In fact, you have inspired me to maybe try something like this to use as my package decorations this...
Corn meal- What a great idea!
I have to disagree. I think at the time of a funeral we all do a lot of reflecting on our lives as well as on that of the one who passed. It's not being used as the eulogy. But it is meant to inspire one to reflect on their own life.Or Doug and auntginn came up with some other nice quotes- words of rememberence that would work well. I just think the open book with the edible image would be representative of a bible- which is certainly appropriate, and then I would keep the...
BTW just looked up the poem. How very nice! I would definitely use it! Sounds like the dash between his dates represents a lot to you and your church - my sympathies to all.
If you have a poem you feel is fitting- do the edible image and place it on an open book. If you don't have the book pan, you can easily carve the shape into any size sheet cake. Maybe have the poem on one page, and on the other page have his name, the church's name, etc.
First of all a round to feed 35-40 would have to be one large round (12?) or a 2 tier (maybe 10 & 8 ). Of course my serving sizes are larger - more like a 2x2 serving.I did a cake with linen hankies on it for a double bridal shower. You could do something like that. I also had a shoe for each bride on the cake. So the hankie (linen) can be embossed or cut out ( that's what I did ) to give a lacey look for your theme.Or if you want something a bit naughty/ cute- there was a...
I don't kill myself whisking the egg whites when making SMBC. Have done that before, and have made it when really busy multitasking and just step over to the stove every few min. & give it a swirl, then walk away again. I don't see a difference in the final product- as long as you stir enough that you don't scramble the eggs!