Posts by cosmicbear

not to compare, but your cakes are far more beautiful than mine. and yet it wasn't until i started telling people "no" that i finally felt truly good about my talent. i understand how you feel. no one has done to me what was done to you, but i sure felt disrespected for my trade and as a person when people don't take my cake decorating seriously. it's as if it was the easiest thing in the world to bake and decorate a cake the way people dismiss my time. when i finally set...
i guess my main question is how to make cleanly-covered fondant cakes, particularly around the bottom edge. i've always had to put a strip of fondant around the bottom edge (like a ribbon) after stacking the cakes to hide some frosting smudges. how do you make those borderless fondant cakes? amazing! also, i want to share that the frostings i use aren't always buttercream consistency, some are softer but not runny or watery but therefore could "melt" a bit in my warm...
bethasd, thanks so much! i usually only freeze during the 2 brief summer months (it's longer than that but the sum of days when it actually gets hot seems to be just 60 days or even less). autumn weather has started here in germany, and although i wish it was still summer (brrrr!!! too cold too soon!), this is good for caking. will probably get rid of the freezing practice altogether because that's just the thing, the cake is in the freezer for only as long as it takes me...
i smooth from top to bottom and am sure i didn't trap any bubbles in. after i have smoothed out the fondant on the cake, a bubble starts to form, i guess from inside the cake! i use the pin prick method, all is smooth again, then the bubble forms AGAIN! WHY? and how do i solve this? my theory is that since i put the frosted cake in the freezer prior to covering it with fondant, condensation causes the bubble. that's just my guess but i need someone to tell me what to do...
a hen night is a bachelorette party, same thing. it should be wild(er) as compared to a traditional bridal shower. it also doesn't have to be held in 1 venue (someone's home or hotel room). the bride's entourage can bring her around town, making her do outrageous dares and other things one shouldn't do anymore after being married. (right.)people have different takes on what funky is. that's quite vague a description for the request. it could simply mean funky bright color...
quick question: if i use a dark colored icing like chocolate ganache or chocolate fudge icing under white MMF, will it show through the fondant? thanks in advance!
wow, great instructions tiptop57! thanks so much for sharing! i've been scratching my head at those book cakes and yours is one of the more amazing ones, really! you make it sound so simple.
my brother would send me a single-word sms saying, "thanks" -- that's it. we're shy saying our "i love you's," "thanks!" and "i miss you's" so the impersonal text message is actually a lot coming from him. but then, would i be so sweet as to even think of sending him a box of cookies??? your post made me think! you're such a sweet sister!
oh! i didn't know that! thanks for posting the question and answer! (now i have to hope real hard someone wants a wedding cake from me soon so i can do a monogram on it)
cheryl, i have a follow-up question if you don't mind? so let's say i'm able to make the fondant-covered cakeboard set rock hard, exposing it to a week of humid conditions won't affect it anymore? because that was one of the concerns of cakerator.and then i have an amateur question too: (sorry, this may be stupid) how do i keep the fondant-covered cakeboard clean while i'm working on the cake? i usually have cake crumbs, glops of icing, and powdered sugar falling onto the...