Posts by sundowng

Brown sugar in America is very different than brown sugar in a lot of other countries.  There are other brands in the States that are similar in taste/texture to Domino.  I live in Taiwan and used to live in S. Korea.  The brown sugar in Asia STINKS!  And, yes, the molasses and regular sugar is not the same. Where are you comparing it to?
I tried writing a post days ago, but it didn't post.  Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the help.  It does give me a direction to go.  I've decided to go with minis and shoot for 4 pieces/ person.  There will also be fruit and a cheese plate there. Thanks a lot!
Hi All!  I've got an order for a dessert buffet table for 200 people.  It will be an open house type thing, and there will be fruits and cheeseball/crackers as well.  I would just like to know how many pieces per person of "sweets" I should plan.  What would you plan for for this number of people?   Thanks for any help!
So, this is my compensation for not being able to find decent powdered sugar in Taiwan? The other day I shipped a cake, refrigerated truck, 8" buttercream with fondant figures on top to a a town on the other side of the island (across mountainous terrain), next day delivery for about $8 -- packaging included! I had the cake in a cake box without the fondant pieces on top, which I wrapped in paper towels and put in another small box, filled the empty spaces with...
Thanks for the great ideas! Those blogs are great!
To tell you the truth, I never measure, and this is just a method I developed myself. I usually start with about 1/4 c. butter/margarine and maybe 1/4 c. milk. I bring that just to a boil in a sauce pot. Then I add flavorings (I like almond and vanilla) and color if I'm using all one color. Then I add powdered sugar until it becomes a ball of dough. It's not as hard as playdough, but it won't slide through your fingers when you pick up the ball. If you need...
I use my own form of rolled buttercream fondant that is kind of an all-purpose recipe. With the right consistency, it can be used to flood, pipe details, or as a fondant, just based on the amount of powdered sugar. It's not greasy like other rolled buttercream, but it can be a little tempermental. I like it because it tastes like buttercream, which is my favorite on cookies. It does work best when it's warm, though. Its only ingredients are butter and milk (boiled...
Thanks so much, Tails! That gives me a great idea! I got a box set of stencils for Christmas that has all kinds of stuff in it, and it was meant for cakes (which is what I most often do), but it would be great to use them this way!Any other ideas?
Hi! I'm needing to do cookies for an awards banquet, and I'm coming up empty. It's for a high school academic awards night. I will do some music ones, but any ideas going along the theme of honor roll students, citizenship awards, that kind of thing? They try to make it a classy kind of night (private school). I live in Taiwan, though, so I don't have access to edible images or anything like that. I googled a bunch of different things and pretty much only came up with...
Thanks for the replies! It didn't notify me there were answers. Anyway, I'm in Taiwan and can't get a cake safe -- although they look fun I will try shipping it frozen then. Sometimes, though, because of the high heat and humidity here, frozen decorated cakes can be tricky to thaw. They tend to bleed a lot, even properly covered and let gradually come to room temp. I might as well try it, though, right?Thanks for giving me some ideas!