Posts by CestDuGateau

Thanks so much for your input Sharon!
Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, but I have pictures of my disaster, and just wondering if there is any more advice out there? I used the SPS system to support the middle tier and wooden dowels (it was an odd size and I couldn't use the SPS) to support the top tier. I really don't understand why this happened because I feel like the cake was properly supported.Thanks for any insight anyone might have.ChristyHere's the link to the cake photos:...
I so feel your pain on this!! I had a similar thing happen to me last week. This was the second topsy turvy cake I have made, and it was a complete disaster!! I had white cake on the bottom, red velvet in the middle, and chocolate as the top layer. I had to make the red velvet layers three separate times... I did finally get the cake together (I did the top slant but decided not to slant the sides of the cake), and it looked great. Unfortunately, it didn't make it to...
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go ahead and dowel them just to be safe. Here's a pic of the finished cake. I thought it turned out pretty good... Let me know what you think.
Hi! I'm hoping someone with a little more experience can give me some advice. I am making a 4 tiered hollywood themed cake for my daughter's drill team banquet. The bottom tier is a 14 inch round (4 inches high). The next two tiers are single 10 inch rounds that look like movie reels, and then the final tier will be a 6 inch round (again 4 inches high). My question is about the two movie reel tiers. I am making them by covering two 12 inch cake boards (for each movie...
I use wax paper all the time to line my pans and have never had a problem...
Thanks everyone for your responses... And sorry I am late in saying it. I guess a trip to the hardware store for a can of compressed air is in my future. Christy
I would say that the cakes made easy and cookies made easy videos are comparable to a basic decorating class. Some of their other videos have more advanced techniques and methods. One of their main instructors in the more difficult videos is Susan Carberry who is just completely amazing! She is so creative and a wonderful teacher! They have all kinds of different videos for all different skill levels and all the instructors are very knowledgeable and creative. As far...
I'm a member of Yummy Arts too, and they have a lot of great video tutorials. They have several that contain basic cake decorating info and are really great as reference materials because you can go back to specific skills or topics as often as you like. They also offer lots of videos for specific cake projects. Christy
Has anyone successfully used this mold with fondant? I tried using this for a cake recently with fondant, and it was disastrous! I dusted the molds well with cornstarch and even popped it in the freezer as instructed, but I just couldn't get the letters to come out. I used fondant with some tylose powder mixed in. I ended up having to pipe the message by hand which is not always a good thing with my writing skills... I would really appreciate any tips or tricks to...