Posts by newlywedws

Okay need some thoughts/ideas/feedback.Back at the end of July (yes that long ago) I was asked to make a bridal shower cake (it's in my pics -double heart cake) and the issue of payment came up...well obviously being new to the cake decorating scene I was a bit uncomfortable saying "the charge is $__" so I told the hostess (who goes to my church) to pray about it, and then pay me what she felt was fair. August and September were extremely busy months for the hostess...
I've never had the problem you're speaking of.Number of different things that I can think of...(may or may not apply based on recipe that you use for your BC)-shortening not incorporated thoroughly-butter not incorporated thoroughly-confectioner sugar not being sifted -salt not incorporated thoroughly-food colouring is old OR may have been contaminated by other foods-humidity-shortening/confectioner sugar is a "store brand"-mixing bowl was not thoroughly cleaned (if you...
I'm guessing you were joking but I've actually done that before, and let's just say that it backfired (no pun intended) - seriously I gave some guys in my high school class some exlax brownies, and boy did it smell the rest of the day...so I wouldn't suggest it.To the OP - I probably would have gave a smart retort like "yes it's a boxed cake mix, and icing...and it baked itself and frosted itself too!"I was just talking to my dh about how ignorant people are when they...
I am no means "God's gift" to cake decorating however I do believe that a person should be paid fairly. Not ONCE - have I ever had anyone pay me for any cake that I have made (though once I was reimbursed "cost")...of course I did make a bridal shower cake back at the end of July and I agreed to allow the hostess to figure what she believed to be a right amount...I pretty much have kissed it off though, b/c here it is October, and no payment yet Having said that...I...
This is a recip for a pumpkin cake roll that I've made before - it's really good!You will need to have a jelly roll pan b/c it allows the batter to bake up "thin" to where it can be rolled easy.I'll also share a few "tweaks" as well Cake:3 eggs, separated1 cup sugar, divided2/3 cup canned pumpkin3/4 cup all-purpose flour1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/8 teaspoon saltFILLING:1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened2 tablespoons butter, softened1...
I'm the type that *usually* will share recipes...but then as is the case a person will make it "their" way, and it makes me think "why did I bother sharing it".Prime example...I uploaded my recipe for RVC into the CC recipe forum, and then I read another post from a fellow cc'er who used my recipe and stated they used a cream cheese frosting...after reading that statement, I almost requested my recipe to be removed...b/c my personal motto is simply "If you don't want to...
I used this recipe -which is a dairy free chocolate cake, and got good compliments on it. Will need to double the recipe if a layer cake is desired.1/2 cup shortening 1 1/4 cups white sugar 2 eggs 1 cup hot water 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla extract Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 9" round cake pan, and line w/ parchment paper. In mixing bowl, add shortening...
Anyone know of any cake decorating supply stores? I know that there is a store called cakes plus...but the layout is so cluttered, I hate shopping there.I know there used to be a shop called "The honeybee shop" over on 30th street...but they have since closed down. Any other local shops that you know of?
I have seen a website that will actually rent out "fake cakes"... I just can't help but wonder how sanitary it would be...esp in regard to renting the "cake" - I got a lovely wedding cake for $243 from a nice bakery in Oklahoma...I was amazed that it wasn't over $350 -b/c it was similiar to the fancy castle cake that was on the cover of a Wilton book a few years back -of course it wasn't as big...a total of 4 cakes (which included our 1st anniversary cake).I was a bride on...
Ahh Okay I was just wondering...I guess I'm just a snob when it comes to RVC