Posts by newlywedws

I give up... For the past few days, I've been working on a cake, and the misc details. The cake was for a contest, as well as to be included in a cake walk.I begin to think that I'm automatically dis-qualified, b/c I have some decent cake decorating skills (not the best in the world, but sufficient) so I make a cake w/ the theme of "Charlie Brown & the great pumpkin" -it was 11"x15" -w/ 5 royal icing figures (Charlie, Linus, Sallie, Lucy, and Snoopy) plus it had a...
Oh yikes...I just followed a cake extender recipe, and uhh didn't realise that the info said it would turn 1 cake mix into the equivalent of 1.5 cake mixes...so I doubled the ingredients as I was making an 11'x15" cake -meaning that I pretty much poured the equivalent of 3 cake mixes into my 11"x15" pan What do I do...I have maybe about 1/4" between the batter and the top of the pan. I put it in the oven about 12 minutes ago...should I scoop out some of the...
The royal icing characters are very thin...luckily any "boo-boos" have been hidden w/ more royal icing...but I just didn't want to take any chances...thus the reason why I'm thinking of sugar cookies, and then place a smack of royal icing on the cookies, and gingerly placing the characters onto the cookies.My snoopy character is going right next to the pumpkin...he's so cute, I'm making it to where it looks like he's licking the pumkin
I'm currently making a cake for tomorrow- been working on some of the design aspects of it...but I'm needing "layout" ideas. Cake will be a sheet cake 11"x15" and has a theme of "Charlie Brown & the great pumkin"...soI'm making royal icing plaques of snoopy, charlie brown, lucy, sally and linus (and b/c they're royal icing...I don't plan on making any more characters).So my "great pumpkin" is actually going to be another mini cake -shaped like a bundt cake and decorated...
No, margarine is not the same thing as shortening - I would use an all butter buttercream recipe - here's one I can give you1/2 cup butter, softened3 cups powdered sugar3-4 Tbsp milk1 tsp vanilla extractCream butter. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to butter, mix thoroughly. *May add more/less milk depending on desire of frosting consistency...aswritten, the frosting will be a stiff consistency.
I'm guessing either the decorator took the instructions quite literally or perhaps the customer was rude, and the decorator just returned the attitude Whatever...it's worth a giggle
While I appreciate the people who did comment on my cakes, the following cakes I thought I did a fairly decent job on, but really don't have that many comments.The first has over 100 views...1 comment http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=85055This next one has over 300 views, but just 4 comments http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=90127Also this cake I thought I did a good job, but only 2...
Forget the viva method...use the melvira method instead - it works wonders! Also using a crusting bc is essential to getting a smooth finish also - me...I prefer reenie's crusting bc -no problems even w/ the new crisco. It may have low ratings, but that's b/c when it was originally submitted the poster accidentally stated 1lb instead of 2lb confectioner sugar...but w/ the correct amound of confectioner sugar, it works great!
Okay I'll try to make this short...I made a shower cake for a lady, back at the end of July. Payment was never made - long story- anyways, she just called and left a message, wanting to know how much $ is owed.The cake is in my pics (it's the double heart, red and white cake) - the size of cake pans used were a 10" and 12" (and I cut part of the 12" away in order to join them together) - the cake was a WASC and even though each cake was a single cake, I torted each cake...
I personally love getting comments I don't care how simple they are!Perhaps I'm a "cake ham" (if there's such a thing?) but I get so happy when I get comments, that from time to time I'll go looking through my pics just to see if I have gotten anymore