Posts by newlywedws

Let me clarify my last reply, I'm not talking about general substitutions.I understand there are times when you may not have the specified ingredient, for example you may have to use AP flour in place of cake flour etc., I'm talking about changing it to the point where the finished product has no similarity.The following are from two different people (who I "virtually" know from another non-cake forum) and they are frustrated w/ how the cake turned out. I start my usual...
I didn't remove it b/c of negative remarks (as I've seen very few), as much as I removed it b/c I was tired of people who would change it, and then they would whine when it didn't turn out right. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you change a recipe, you're going to get a different result. Call me stubborn and opinionated, but if you want to mess up a red velvet cake, use another recipe, not mine.
Personal reasons...
Just to let you know that it's not "missing" - I requested it to be removed.
These are mine...and I was surprised that they turned out this nicely, I wasn't so sure how they would look- first time ever cupcakes
Thank you for that link, as I'm sure it might help those who do use mexican vanilla...I have no intention of EVER using mexican vanilla.
Ever go onto craigslist.com and just type in the word "cake" - it's amazing what can be found - people trying to sell baked goods, and people requesting cakes...I think the first is the dumbest, and the latter is the most amusing. For example a recent post I found:"i need a really simple wedding cake that can feed about 50 people max. any design you want.. as long as it's white. I'm really low on a budget and i'm willing to give you $50 and free advertising on forums. I...
I love Watkins!!!! I just bought some of their extracts...Almond, Caramel, Chocolate, Hazelnut, Peach, Peanut Butter, Vanilla Nut, Mango, Pineapple, Lemon, Pure Vanilla, Rum, Strawberry, etc., They are the Best!!!!In regard to the mexican vanilla...just a note of caution, Some manufacturers of mexican vanilla add coumarin; the US FDA has banned coumarin b/c it can cause liver and kidney damage.
I posted the recipe, and I'm trying to think of what could cause it to become dry, as I've never had that problem. Then again it's rare to have "leftovers" Are you using cake flour? When you measure the flour how are you measuring it? Do you "drag" the measuring cup through the flour and then level it off, or do you spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it off?Are you using a liquid or dry measuring cup to measure the buttermilk?How are you storing...
This was the other thread -in regard to the cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5886120-.html#5886120So what happened was simply, I took the cake to her house, and I explain that b/c I didn't hear from her in time, some of the cake would look "storebought" - and I open up the box to show her, and all the sudden "Oh that's neat" I can't figure it out, one moment it's all "It must look homemade" then the next "oh how neat, blah blah" - so double...