Posts by sunshine4U

Thanks! I'll look for this! Osgirl, thanks for that link. I'll look into that as well, sounds like great stuff!With all these great suggestions and comments I am pretty hopeful that the next cake will be at least edible! Thanks everyone!
Thanks for the comments and links! I will certainly experiment with different flours and blends. Thanks! And I am bookmarking all the links for future reference!Yeah, so far baking GF hasn't been too bad but it certainly is different! This cake has been the biggest challenge so far. I thought bread would be the hardest but it was nothing compared to this... at least even the first try for bread was edible, not so much for this cake! MsGF yup Canadian and GF is awesome!
Hey everyone, I am just a mom baking a cake for my daughters birthday, she was diagnosed with Celiac a few months ago so I need a GF B-day cake. Well, I made one yesterday and the taste is fine its just that the texture is dry and its rock hard. Anyone here do GF? Any ideas how this happened? I used a brown rice flour blend and used 1 tsp xanthan gum, 2 eggs, vanilla, milk (plus some other ingredient...) I alternated dry and wet when mixing. Thought I was doing everything...
I worked on the gingerbread houses with the kids again today and we got all the walls up. I also made some of the Gelatin Icing and the kids had fun making snowmen, dogs, sleds, etc for the yards.I also cut out and baked my own house that I will be decorating with my oldest daughter. She is making couches, chairs, coffee table, and a painting for the walls... until she ran out of Gelatin Icing. I guess I will be making more of that tomorrow! At some point I will assemble...
OH that is so incredibly cute! This is the perfect solution for my son's birthday party tomorrow... Thank you thank you thank you! I so needed something that was still fun, boyish enough and easy to do for a 12-yo party!
Now your making me cry Win and 7yyrt! LOL Thanks for the great welcome! I sure love this site and have recommended it to several friends who want to start this tradition with their kids as well
I am so glad I found this board! It is Remembrance Day here in Canada and I have just made all the pieces for all 4 of my kids' gingerbread houses for this year. Making gingerbread houses has become a tradition and even my 12-yo son still loves making them! I have yet to make/bake my house for this year but my oldest DD (14) and I will work on it together and we are going to try make a mini-doll house style since she wants to make the insides and I will do the outside....
No, I don't have merange powder -- but it definately is going on my shopping list! Guess I've always been making the royal icing the "hard" way! LOL7yyrt, thanks for the tip about sugar syrup. I will give that a try!
I'm making a bunch of gingerbread houses for our school bazaar on Saturday and I was planning to make Royal Icing for the "glue" but at the moment I don't have any cream of tartar in the house (and the roads are in pretty bad winter driving condition so I'm trying to avoid going out -- esp. with the kids! LOL)Can I make Royal Icing without the cream of tartar? Would it still hold? OR is there some other way of making "glue" that will work for these houses??? These houses...
Been there, done that too! I used to go through mixers like water until I got my KA, so I know what you mean!I got my through Air Miles points about 5 years ago -- which meant giving up travel points! LOL What's more important? LOL My SIL got her's for Christmas a few years ago as well. She just told every that's what she really wanted and a bunch of us got together on the gift that year.Here's wishing one under the tree for you too!