Posts by lserafin

I am making a sombrero cake and made the rim out of gumpaste. I let it dry over a pasta bowl for the rounded look, however, my perfect circle did not end up drying that way.   When I flipped it over the edges are not even - I guess it must have slid down further in some spots and dried that way.   Is there any way to fix this?    I was thinking sandpaper to shave off the uneven top and level it out, but I wanted input before trying this.    Thanks!
Has anyone ever made this kind of cake before?http://cakework.com/images/turquoise_ruffle.jpgI am going to make one this weekend and I can't figure out if I should just cut strips of fondant and overlap them on the cake as I go to get this look, or if there is a different way to do it that would make it look smoother. Please let me know, thanks!
Thank you! I guess I will have to try it out... I think it is supposed to be soft to sculpt the dog fur? Are you supposed to let it sit out a day before using it?
Hi everyone,I am trying to make this dog cake modeled after the one from confetti cakes YouTube video and she wrote that she covered the dog in a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla fondant. The result from the video ended up looking like a shinier more clay-like fondant and easier to mold the hairs of the dog.Has anyone mixed these before? If so, how much of each? Any tips or advice? Does the end result turn out like I think? let me know, thank you so much! This...
I am making a birthday cake for my sister that is to look like her dog. I review that YouTube video and while it is amazing, I am so confused as to how she did that fur... Has anyone tried to make that cake from the video?On her blog that is linked to the video, she says she covered the cake with a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla rolled fondant.. does that mean choco-pan or just chocolate added to the fondant? Whatever she covered the cake with in the video looked...
Hello! I only bake cakes for family parties and so I am not as seasoned as you pros out there. Here is my question.My sister's birthday party is on Sunday (today is Friday). Yesterday I baked the cakes and let them sit overnight. Today I was going to fill the layers and crumb coat it. I have read a lot about making the dam for the filling but here is my question...If I do all of that this afternoon, should I put it in the fridge overnight until I cover it tomorrow? I...
Hello!I only make cakes for family members birthdays, etc. so I am not as experienced as everyone here!I baked my cakes tonight for my sister's birthday party on Sunday. I am planning on letting them rest tonight and then tomorrow fill them, use the dam to prevent bulging, and then coat it. I was planning on letting that sit overnight until Saturday morning and then cover it in fondant. My question is, should I put it in the refrigerator or leave it out to let it...
I was wondering the same question. Have you tried it yet? If so, how did it turn out? DO you think I could do the same for chocolate cake?
I am trying to make a cake that requires a lot of shaping (turning 4 layers into a flattened round ball). I am assuming I need a pretty sturdy cake recipe, but I am not a fan of pound cake or really modifying box mixes. I am making this cake for my friend and she loves chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe that they use to make cakes when the decorating requires a firm and sturdy shape? Thank you!
I have a question about fondant. There is a cake that I want to cover in fondant (a 2 tiered flattened ball shaped cake) and since I am slightly a beginner with rolling fondant, I was wondering if there is a difference in how easy it is to work with depending on whether you buy it or make it. The cake I want to make uses MMF, and I read that the best fondant to buy is Satin Ice. Which is easier to work with?