Posts by Arty

Does anyone know how to get a chrome effect on gumpaste/fondant. I know they have products that are edible that will allow for a silver colour/effect. But I am hoping to be able to acheive a high shine chrome finish. Can anyone help???
Never mind. I wish all of my fellow US CCers that are entering and are successful the very best of luck. Honest really I do. Still upset. Go on CCers give them your best and show them what you've got. I'm just hoping that the UK decides to do a show like this for cake decoraters
Can I apply from England. Will they pay for me to travel soo far? Is it too late to enter?
Thylose powder mixed with hot water, best to leave for a few hours or overnight until dry - This is probably the same technique as Aine2. Once made it will give an instant invisible glue which dries very quickly, without a mess & clear, which means you can use it on any colour icing. This is what I use to do all my sugar modelling work.
Yes, this has been the funniest thread I have read on here. That what this forum is for to see other people's opinions, and we all gotta respect that.What can I say about this cake.......OK full respect to the clay artist she obviously understand the art of sculpting. The cake itself is actually quite plain and I find it hard to believe that all those tiers are cake, there has to be some dummies in there to act as support. Cause there is no-way tthat buttercream covered...
I am new to using pastillage (I used it to make a wedding cake topper recently, check it out in my photos). It does dry very hard and would only shatter if you tried to cut.If you still want to get a good solid shape without it being too hard. I would suggest you mixing the pastillage with fondant 50/50 mix. You may need to apply it to cake (if it is for sides to be sticking out) with royal icing not buttercream, as the buttercream may not be strong enough to hold it in...
Good that she agreed to pay the original price you quoted. You stood your ground with your price which is the best thing you could do. Never under estimate how much the quaility of your cakes & decoration time & work is. Maybe you might even consider bringing your prices up slightly for future orders, as this lady did get to this cake quite cheap anyway. Just remember anyone that contacts you by e-mail, they need to call you or have a discussion with you face to face...
That's wonderful news Amelia, glad that it worked out fine.......I knew it would. I am also in England if you need any help on where to look for equiptment, just let me know. Also just to let you know the next Cake Show in England will be at the NEC in Birmingham. If you can get a chance to go it is a fantastic place to take in the sites & sounds of the cake world. Watch demonstrations, take part in the workshops and buy lots of equiptment at discount prices.Go to -...
Customers ain't they great.....I agree try to clear up any confusion via phone or if she lives close by try and meet up to discuss it. I always try to have face to face chats with my customers where possible,as it just solves any misunderstanding far quicker.I also make wedding dresses as well.....can you imagine the amount of bridezilla's I have had to deal with.....I just take it in my stride now.You never know she may end up being your best customer.....(in terms of...
Yeap it does make a difference. It helps to keep the air in the cake, hence coming out light & spongey once baked.As for an alternative for a sieve, it is a bit difficult as the sieve is very fine and helps to create the air/fluffiness in the flour. The only other option is maybe fine netting, but again you are going to have to make sure that the netting is as fine as a sieve would be. Best overall option is try and get a seive before you have to do your next order.