Posts by Pitchers_Bakery

Ok so heres the trial run cake I made for my sons 1st birthday (next weekend). I hate it! I thought it would come out so cute, but it came out horrible! Please please please help me!   The only thing I like is the candle, the green as the bottom tier, and the orange as the monster. However, I hate the zig zags, I hate the red tier, i hate the monster and the way it looks.   I am thinking stars with 2 different sizes on the bottom, blue as the 2nd tier with...
anyone have a tutorial or video or anything on how to get a perfect royal icing for hand piping on a cake? i just am not confident with royal and would like to be, when it comes to hand piping! Thanks!!
thanks karen, any place online you know of that sells those SPS?
Thank you Karen. I live in Japan so i am limited on items here. so I use wood dowels, and just your basic cardboard cake boards under each cake. If you have a you tube video or a tutorial on stacking that uses what your talking about then that would help. Sorry not too sure what sps stands for.Thank you for the ganache advice, never really was good with chocolate, so any advice on how to make a nice ganache?
wow thank you everyone soooo much. sounds like such an amazing amount of great feed back.ok so problem one, the fondant when i covered each cake wasnt low enough, when I stacked the cakes, so what am i doing wrong. i had a huge gap to fill between the 2 cakes (hence the wrong size or out of place border).Also, those who have used royal icing, what consistency am i looking for. I tried a thinner icing, and it was too runny. then i did the stiffer side and could barely...
I just did this wedding cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2186435and it was my first giant four tier super important wedding cake! I was nervous about the cake the entire month. I didnt know what to think, what to do or anything, so my question is ANY ADVICE???I know my cake isn't perfect, and I have been doing cakes for several years, but all those old time pros out there, any advice on how to get that hand piping even better? smoother? anything?Thank you in advance!
Simple as this, trial and error. Start buying books, start buying tips, and helpful guides. Grab a laptop and you tube it up! Watch all the tv shows, youtube videos, read all the magazines, collect family recipes, and then TRIAL AND ERROR!!!I began by just making some friends cakes just because. I would ask what kind of cake and icing... eventually i would find one or two recipes that EVERYONE wanted more then the others. Next thing I knew I had the recipes I needed, the...
okay okay, calm down... I had HUGE issues at first with this magazine, but now that im getting mine on time im very impressed. I too thought the photos were AMAZING! I would love to hear the step by steps of how some of the professionals make some of the stuff, but then I think to myself would i tell someone in my career field how to do something I know how to do... probably not. So why would they. Also, these are professionals, but I believe I saw one person in the...
i say make square cakes in 14", 10" and 8" and cut the sides to make the ten sides. Start by making a stencil of a 12" ten sided cake you need, lay it on top of the 14" square cake and cut away, do the same for the 8" and 6". thats what I would do!
im sorry but I love my wedding photos, because my flowers, cake, dress, etc were all store bought, no one in my family was allowed to make any of my items. Personally, I wanted the perfect day for my husband and I. If the bride wants the same, she needs to step up and say no thanks. My mother had a really close friend, and yes she attended my wedding, and she makes cakes, but in the time that ive been making cakes, i have surpass this ladies talent, lets just say she is...