Posts by tonicake

Hi, don't stress. It's not a difficult thing to do.1. Yes, you need to dowel the cake . Be sure to use supports in the bottom layer or the top will sink into it. (I use bubble tea straws & some use wooden dowels.)2. Definitely use a board or foam core under the top tier. (I use foam core, so I can hammer the dowel into a thicker space.)3. I always stack the cake at home and transport it finished-to me it's easier. I just delivered a 5 tier wedding cake assembled-no...
You are going to do great. Congrats!
Hang in there. We are really hot here too. Very unusual. It seems I am having the same problems you are. I keep telling myself,I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I have been able to get something to the table and my customers ask me if they need to pay me any more for the cake. They love it and I can't believe I'm sending a cake out that looks the way it does. The customer is always right! It will be OK! Believe that and it will be.
Two different things I do:1. Friends help me and2. I take the cakes to the friends house, call the customers, let them know an emergency has happened could they pick up the cake at the friends address. So far, I've had no problems. What ever I do depends on the situation. I've had to travel and the customers came to get their cake at my home with family here to take care of everything.Maybe this will help you to brain storm options.
I have family and customers saving things all the time. One customer saved all the gum paste animals from her 2 baby shower cakes. She wiped them off and displayed them around the nursery. I warned her about possibly attracting ants among other tiny bugs. My father saved Waldorf and Statler (including the top tier of cake) and put it in his freezer. I had no idea until I walked in and it was on is table to show to a step daughter. I made it almost a year ago - July...
Fondx and Satin Ice can be found just about any where cake supplies are sold. GSA sells it. Fondarific is sold through fondarific.com, if you are a business, you can get it whole sale.
Good morning, Wilton fondant is not good at all. If you want to use fondant I recommend making MMF or spend some money on quality fondant. I use three different fondants and I buy them all. Fondx has a great taste and is very easy to use.Satin Ice I use for their colors and is a little to soft, so I add a little Fondx or powder sugar to make it a little stronger.Fondarific is one of my favorite flavors. It comes out hard, so once again I add a little Fondx to it. I...
I can't believe how sad that cake was. I couldn't imagine delivering a cake that looked like that or even think of charging someone for a cake that looked that bad!I feel so bad for that bride. How awful!!
Good morning-don't sweat it. I just made a 5 tier wedding cake and delivered it assembled about 30 miles away. I used a wooden base (a table top-new from Lowes). Every tier was on a circle of foam core. Duct taped the largest foam to the wooden base. Each tier had bubble tea straws for support. After the 3rd tier was placed I used a wooden dowel a little off center through the entire cake (down through the foam layers). Add the remaining tiers and dowel again...
Happy to meet you charliecakes. I love your graduation cake. You do very nice work. I'm sure you'll be "consumed" with what you can find here. Many, many hours, days and weeks of information. Have fun! WELCOME!Toni