Posts by PaulaT

I agree with Sandy1 - I've used the Rich's Bettercream and mixed in the sleeve fillings - work's fine.
Hi All Cupcake experts!!Can anyone give me a general idea of how much b/c icing is needed for 100 cupcakes? I do not do large orders for them very often and am working on a New Year's Eve wedding order for 100. This is a new one for me!!!!For instance how many batches of the regular Wilton B/C recipe will I need using the large star tip?Thanks all - Have a very happy and safe holiday. Love you guys!!!!
Wow - first of all congratulations.I'd be so excited and of course nervous but they wouldn't have called you if they didn't think you could do it. Sure you can. Just get all your "ducks in a row", practice and get as organized as you can. What a fabulous opportunity. Even if you didn't win the challenge it would be something you'll always remember and be able to tell all your family and friends. Think about all the positives - no negatives here and so much fun!!!...
There is a tutorial on the front page here on CC for looped bows. I use the wrapping paper cardboard roll to hang my loops over for a day or so then lay on their side to finish drying. It ususally takes at least a week for them to be completely dry (I use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant). Then just glue them with royal icing. HTH .Have a great day!!
Hi,I iron the ribbon between wax paper. It covers the ribbon with wax preventing and grease leaking onto the ribbon. If you use this method, place a piece paper towel on top and underneath the wax paper to prevent wax from getting on your ironing board and iron.Good luck. PM me with any other questions.Have a great day!
Hi,My photo of my first soccerball cake was lost this morning. It's strange since it does show up in my photos but not in the gallery. I imagine there are many glitches with so many trying to post their pictures on Monday mornings from their weekend work. It has happened to me before. Oh well, no harm done. I was kind of proud since it was my first soccer cake and I was so nervous about doing it. Wasn't so hard afterall.Have a great day everyone.
Hi,I made a RI tiara and wasn't as pleased with it as with the one I made from fondant/gumpaste. The RI one I had to keep piping over it to make it strong enough. The one from fondant/gumpaste was much cleaner and sharper looking and took less time to make. I used my clay gun and just placed it on a pattern that was taped around a bowl. Let it dry for a good week and then used luster dust and fondant pearls on it. It is in my photos on a heart shaped cake. Good luck...
Hi,I purchased Choco-pan in the dark chocolate a while back. It tastes so much better than Wilton and smells wonderful. It is pretty soft so I added my own gumpaste to it to give it more strength for drying. I used it to make a bow, teddy bears and dots for a baby shower cake. It worked great. Not sure how it will work without the gumpaste added to it though. I used about a 50/50 mixture. Other than that I typically use Satin Ice fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste and...
I microwave my butter all the time - out of the refrig into the microwave for approx. 12 sec. for 1 stick a few more sec. if needed. Seems to work just fine. Also I microwave my whipping cream a few seconds to get it to room temp. I make my icings up well in advance - 3 or 4 days and a week if making it for a wedding cake. Since I do this part time in the evenings I have to prep for every cake days in advance then the day of construction and finishing everything is...
My suggestion would just be chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Guys aren't that interested in a "cute" design as much as how it tastes and most of them just like chocolate. Go easy on yourself and do a chocolate cupcake, chocolate icing and a kiss on top or some chocolate sprinkles. He'll love it! Promise.