Posts by cakeflake80

Hi everyone! I am doing a wedding cake next month and the bride wants rustic icing with red tops. I've attached a picture of what she meant by the tops of the tiers being red (they are pink in the picture, but that is the look she wants). Do you think that the red is straight piping gel, or is it mixed with something else? I RARELY use piping gel so does it get that dried look once it sets, or does it stay glossy? I will be assembling the cake on site so if it's piping...
If you can't find Americolor, which I prefer, use the Wilton 'Rose' color. It actually works pretty well. My biggest piece of advice would be to color your icing in advance and let it sit so that the color deepens......THEN color your fondant. I have made so many hot pink cakes and I have the hardest time getting the fondant and the icing to match! I ice in buttercream, and use fondant for the accents. If you use Americolor electric pink on buttercream (at least my...
I agree that the belt is definitely an important element in the overall design. To me, the belt makes it 'Toy Story'. I also agree that $20 is enough. She already got a discount PLUS free delivery (40 minutes....that alone was a HUGE discount!), so she really shouldn't expect much.
Thanks so much for all of the responses....I have no idea why I never received an email when the first response was posted!! I didn't even realize anyone answered until I saw it on the main page tonight. Anyways, thank you for letting me know about the freezing/refreezing.....this will save me so much time! I don't cut the cookies and then freeze....I normally just freeze the dough and then cut them when the dough thaws. This takes up less space in my freezer.....otherwise...
Hi everyone! I have a crazy busy week coming up, and was hoping that what I want to do is ok to do from a food safety perspective. I made NFSC dough last week and froze the leftovers, which I plan to use for some cookies for this weekend. I'm really wishing I had actually baked the cookies and then froze them so I don't have to do it this week. Can I thaw the dough, bake the cookies, and then freeze the baked cookies? I know certain foods can't be re-frozen once thawed,...
I normally just buy satin ice black fondant, but if I'm out and haven't ordered any, I've been buying the package of Wilton brown fondant and adding Americolor super black to it. It doesn't take much to get a jet black color. Just keep in mind that the Wilton brown fondant is chocolate flavored, so that might not work on all cake flavors.
Oh yeah, Americolor 'deep pink' makes pretty much the same color on fondant.
I highly suggest the Duff electric pink. I am almost positive it's made my Americolor...same size, packaging, etc. It's what I use when I need hot pink.
Has anyone had a problem finding the Amazing Mold Putty at Michael's lately?? I used to get it there all the time, but I haven't been able to find it at all in the last 4 months or so.
Oh my goodness....I didn't know you could do that!!! That will be very helpful in the future. Thank you so much!!