Posts by leahk

Thanks- I'll try it.I didn't grease when I made the mud cake- but the recipe flopped anyway.Onto the next recipe!
You aren't supposed to grease and flour a silicon pan, but i guess I can try it and see if it works. I'm going to try a mud cake today.
I want to make a chocolate cake in a silicon pan. I want the cake to have a sort of "crust" on the sides that touch the pan so that it will have the design of the silicon pan when I release it from the pan. My cake is too "crumby" even when I froze the cake and then tried releasing it, the cake tore and had no definition.I hope I'm making sense.TIA
I've only seen these done by hobby (not-professional) bakers. They usually use a jelly-roll cake for the scrolls.
Next time, you can just dip the wire form into chocolate, creating a barrier between the wire and the cake. Then cover up the part you need to with gumpaste/fondant.
Whatever batter you use for the cake has to be dense enough to hold the weight of the apples.Sounds yummy!
Try taking a cutter with pointier tips and cutting them all off using a round cutter.
This is a huge thank you to all the CCers who post helpful hints and tips. I'm pretty much a lurker. I'm a hobby baker, and haven't had time to make a cake in a LOOOONNNG time. But, I have soaked up hints and tricks, which made my life MUCH easier when I did this cake.I had planned something entirely different, but preferred going to sleep at a decent hour. So I used whipped frosting as the base and decorations. The cake base was foam core wrapped in scrapbook paper...
The one time I used ganache, I got ownderful edges and coverage, but the fondant became dry and brittle. When I use BC the fondant stays soft. Any tips on how to keep fondant soft when using ganache.
I would put the cake on a foam core board and push the wires intot he foam core for stability.