Posts by vww104

As much as possible stock up on certain ingredients when they are on sale.  You can freeze butter which is expensive so get extra when you see a good price.  I buy shelf stable milk (in juice box type containers) this way I don't buy milk for it to go bad.  Sugar and flour also last a long time.  Invest in good quality baking pans and equipment because they last forever and will always give you a good result.  Be creative!  Have fun! Good luck! 
Freezing stops time, I have had cupcakes in my freezer for a month and when I take them out they are fine.
If you live near a Restaurant Depot, you can get boxes there at good prices. You do need an EIN# but the membership is free. You can buy the 10x10 and 14x10 boxes there, then order the inserts from somewhere else.
I use the DH RV cake mix all the time with rave reviews, all I do is sub the water for whole milk and add 2 tsp of vanilla. I also use homemade CC icing which is just 8oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, 1 lb of powdered sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla. The key to RV is not to overbake it, once it's dry its ruined.Personally, RV is not my favorite but people love it.
I agree and what about the huge increase in autism and food allergies? 15 years ago the rate of autism was something like 1 in 10,000, now its more like 1 in 95. And when I was growing up in the 70's I don't ever remember anyone being allergic to nuts and dairy products. Makes you wonder...
You say that these cakes are free, I hope that at the very least you will consider collecting enough from others to cover your ingredients. That's not selling, it's just covering your basic expenses.
I didn't know that you can freeze buttermilk, now it never has to spoil in my fridge..thanks!
Are you a pro or just a hobby baker? I'm just a hobby baker and I store my boxes flat under my sofa and love seat in my livingroom.
I tried Crumbs yellow cupcake with chocolate icing and I was not that impressed. It was extremely sweet. I ate it because I didn't want to waste my money and I love sweets, but I wouldn't buy it again.
Freezing stops time, I have had cupcakes in my freezer for as long as 3 months and they were fine. I freeze in my cupcake holder, if I know that I won't need it. I also have a couple extra 12 cup muffin tins, they fit perfectly in a 2 gallon ziploc. Just cover the top with wax paper and slide in. I don't even defrost before icing, just remove from the freezer and ice them, they come out great.