Posts by ThreePrinces

Okay. Do I dry them a little bit before I put them on?
    ...out of fondant?   I have a ruffle cutter, is this as simple as flattening out the ruffles and then attaching to the cake?  Ruffles made out of 50/50 gumpaste and fondant?
AH, excellent idea. That's why I come here to ask the experts!! Thank you SO MUCH!
Bride likes this design.Looks like about 5 million dragees and sugar pearls glued on individually to me (slight exaggeration, probably only 4 million. just kidding.) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how a less time consuming way to decorate this cake.
Here's what I'm thinking I may need to do - Measure and roll out the strips. Lay them on a mat and then use the same gumpaste tools that I use to make flowers to make the ruffles..? I forgot the name of the tool...it's like a stick with a ball on the end of it. Should I let them dry for a day or two? Would they be too hard to then wrap around the cake if I did that?
Bride wants a similar cake to this - not exactly, but similar. She definitely likes the ruffling on the bottom. Seems simple enough, but I don't want to mess it up. How would you do this? Would you put strips of colored fondant underneath the ruffled fondant? How would you ruffle the fondant? Thank you.I already have the Peony all ready to go for the middle tier, and for the top she just wants some scrolling done in royal icing on top of the fondant. It's that...
I always make my own. The only decent tasting premade I've tasted is Satin Ice. It's expensive and I try to keep cost down. I love Rhonda's MMF from here on CC. I use it every time and it's perfect every time.
I have never taken a class there, but I sure spend a lot of time in that store...
I'm only an amateur, certainly no pastry school here. This is just a hobby for me.My husband drives me when I have a cake to deliver. I hold it in my lap. My husband is well adept to taking corners slowly and avoiding sudden braking when he's driving me and a cake. For large wedding cakes, I usually put the tiers (unstacked) in the back of my SUV and I sit in the third row (it splits) and watch them. I did drive a wedding cake over an hour away not long ago and I...
1. I make a thick crumb coat under the fondant. Not as much as I would use if the cake were only buttercream with no fondant, but not as thin as a crumb coat, either. I'd classify it was a thick crumb coat.2. Impression mat: What size is it? Is that one of those little ones that you impress after the cake has been covered, or a bigger one? 3. Drying times: Depends on what type of fondant and where you live. I live in very dry Colorado and there is so little...