Posts by jeking

It looks like Sugar Veil to me. You do it on a silicone baking sheet, let it dry, then you can cut it and wrap it around like they did. It stays flexible.
You can also sprinkle a generous layer of powdered sugar or even dessicated coconut on the layer prior to stacking. It will keep the layers from sticking.Just a suggestion...try using commercial fondant (not Wilton ) like Satin Ice, Pettinice, Regalice, etc...until you get more comfortable using fondant. Then, you can try the MMF again. It is a bit more difficult to use. I think you did an admirable job for your first stacked cake. A couple of pointers...always make...
The satin ice hold up great. Just be sure that you don't roll it too thin. I would highly suggest using high ratio shortening instead of Crisco. We don't have a Costco, but I understand they carry it there. It will stand up the very best. We only use high ratio shortening and never have problems with the heat and humidity. BTW...I'm in Gainesville, Florida...
It doesn't HAVE to spear the board, but it help to tap it into the board...gives it a bit more stability.You can use wooden dowels or...in this instance...you could use large plastic straws placed a couple of inches apart. (I don't use straws but others do and swear by them. I only mention them because they are economical. I use the large white round plastic dowels. Wilton makes them...I think we get ours from someone else, but they are all the same.) Be sure that...
Bottom line is that the cake was perfectly fine when you left which you can, and have, proven with a photo. That's why we take photos after the cake is setup before we leave. What happens after that is absolutely not your problem. I would not offer one penny back. I consider that kind of crap blackmail. "I'll tell everybody if you don't give my money back"...If the blackmail works, then that information gets around too.
He used a small hand steamer. That fondant was brilliantly shiny when he finished. It was awesome.
Dry dust with luster dust or petal dust if you don't want them shimmery. See my photos for a cake covered with shells.
Icing tip for sure. Quick, easy, you don't have to add more icing if you put three "strips" on each side with the top one coming over the top. Then you just barely have to smooth the three "strips" together, then smooth the top. Your spatula NEVER touches the cake and it's very quick.
I would try to brush it out like k8 mentioned. Let it dry well, come to room temperature and then airbrush it again.
We use commercial fondant, either Satin Ice or Regalice, and sometime it is too stiff. I cut off the amount I need and if it too stiff, I add a glop of buttercream and knead it until it's the right consistency. Use VERY LITTLE cornstarch or PS...just enough to keep it from sticking. Agree that when using a mat (Joanne's fabric store...thickest clear vinyl they have) you almost don't need any.When I am doing swags, I only roll out the fondant on a Crisco rubbed surface....