Posts by josilind

I need help. I have a wedding next weekend and the bride wants ribbon on the base. I have done this before but when i do it i seem to always get grease patches on the ribbon from the icing AND i cant seem to get the ribbon to lie flat top to bottom on the base. i get compliments whenever i do it but these are things that i want to correct for myself...any suggestions.. on yeah and it is a stack cake...so do i put the ribbon on before or after the stacking....please someone...
How do you place ribbon on the base of the cakes(especially stacked) cakes? i have done this only twice and it has come out nice but I want to place it on the cake where I wont get any buckling and the ribbon fits snuggly to the top and the bottom of the cake. I can get it snuggly fit to the bottom but the top does not touch the cake by 2 smidgets (if that were a word). also, My next cake is a stack (5 tiers) ...would the ribbon go on before or after stacking?
I need help on how to fix this. My icing is seperating in my bowl. I made the black icing two days ago and it is seperating and I dont want to use it on this birthday cake. Usually I would add confectioner's sugar...but it is not working this time...How do i fix this....
7yyrt, thanks for the advice! Unfortunately we have just moved and the only work space I have is the island and the kitchen counter top space. I will be sure to keep that in mind when we finish furnishing the kitchen and the dining room . Those tables should be lower than those in the kitchen.
pootchie, noticed your signature. congratulations. i know that this is totally off the subject but your weight loss is great. can you email me your program i am getting ready to start my program tomorrow myself and i am 220 . i have never been this large before in my life and am getting depressed. my email address josilind_white@yahoo.com ...thnks and sorry for the interrupt of something that does not have to do with cake issues.
i agree with pootchie. The wilton dark colors do that. And I dont use salt either and the rave on my cakes are out the roof. They comment on how it is not too sweet. i have added a little more confectioner sugar and some of the streaks and spots went away.
that is wonderful. i agree pray about it and go with your gut feeling. On doing the grants, a suggestion, calculate your rent up to 6 months and make sure that that is in the grant. because you are in a new business you have to be logical that you have to give time for your business name to hit the streets and they may be slow about bringing you the business. if you calculate the 6 months or more rent in your grant or loan then at least you know that you can pay rent until...
When using Viva, let your cake sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before trying to smooth and make sure the kitchen is not warm ...i have turned the air on to make sure the cake starts crusting. And before using the Viva so a fingerprint test to see if it has crusted. But because you are in the kitchen and the heat from baking or the weather is not cool it will take longer to crust and the icing will stick to the viva. But I have got to try this new smoothing method.
TIP : instead of using piping gel to do side work, use a cookie cutter. Because Valentines day is around the corner you can find a pack of Heart cookie cutters anywhere. all different sizes in one pack. Just make impressions on the sides and go back over them with your favorite icing tip ...But..I am jealous. Your first stack cake looks great. I am so afraid of sta cks because i am short and cannot see where to drop the cake so that is it straight when you stand back and...
I agree with viewbaker. I measure all of my cupcakes' batter. I use a 1/4 measuring cup and they turn out perfect each time. After they cool, the tops may be a little peaking, i like it. It gives the cupcake a full look but what I do also is after they cool if it is too peaky for me I just take my serragated knife and cut the tops of like you are leveling the top of a cake.