Posts by josilind

And I use regular size cupcakes, I give 4, one for the bride , one for the groom and the other 2 are just a thank you for considering me for the job. 
I was looking for another buttercream crusting icing, so, you dont have to add water in this recipe?
I would like to know if anyone could tell me how to pipe with luster dust. I am doing a Mardi Gras cake and the colors of course , are gold, green and purple. I would like to do gold scrollwork onto buttercream icing. I will allow the icing to crust over, mold the sides and the edges and pipe on the scrollwork.   I am getting alot of different ways to do it on the net...I see use piping gel and the luster dust , vodka and luster dusk(but some reviews are saying that...
Great!! I am so glad it worked out!
This happened to me one night when i was working on a cake. it was late and i was really needing to get in bed to go to work. I dont know if your client is WANTING a smooth look to the icing , but if that were not a specific in the order maybe you can just stop trying to fight the bubbles and rough ice the cake , until you figure out what the problem is. I just rough iced the cake and the birthday girl loved it. I dodged the bullet but i think i mixed my icing too long.
I have a cake for tomorrow night. Its a birthday cake 11x15 sheet. the cake is for my coworkers grandmother but she wanted to try to incorporate her grandmother's many titles. ..mother, grandmother and great grandmother.Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to word the "Happy Birthday,,," liner on the cake that will include these titles and will fit on the cake ? I will have a floral spray in the top right corner and the bottom left corner.thanks
Have you tried calling your local bakeries and checking to see how much they charge per slice? How much they charge for buttercream icing orders and how much they charge for fondant orders?Where I live, depending on which part of the city you live, a cake can cost 2.50 a slice and on another part of town the bakeries there are 5.00 or 7.00 a slice. If you do that , then it would be easier in the future to calculate your cake prices. Then any add ons / accessories like...
I have been told that the only mixer that could stand making icing would be a counter top mixer, such as the Kitchen Aids, Wolfgang Pucks, Cooks, etc. and the reason why is because of the wattage on the mixers. They are designed to handle heavy duty work. Handmixers are designed for light mixing.But if you keep buying the handmixers, it's almost like throwing your money away. Just try to invest or save up for a good mixer, you wont regret it, and you will save so much more...
You could possibly do like someone mentioned, educate the person on the servings that each tier renders and if its the height they are looking for , I did this cake for a babyshower of 30-35 people and this is a 3 -full 2inch layer 8 inch round with a single 6 layer on tophttp://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/45193/600-1318549805.jpg
A suggestion I can give as far as servings go is that whenever I do weddings, I ask about the goroms cake also, and try to make the difference in servings up with the bridal cake or vise versa. Just this past weekend, I did a large wedding where the bride had a budget, she wanted a 3 tiered cake and her husband's cake had already been ordered from another bakery, so I did do her a sheet cake for the kitchen, nothing fancy, just a white cake with white icing sheet cake. I...