Posts by SweetConfectionsChef

I took the class for free thru the health department. It was a full day class but took about 20 minutes to ace the test. It really wasn't hard...mostly boring.
I don't get on her much anymore....can't stand the drama of everything but being in Texas and a "used to be" business owner I wanted to chime in here. I think the bill if fantastic! Helping people to follow the law is always a good idea. There are a few things though that, IMO, really need to be addressed with this bill. Zoning for sure. The bill is not going to help our Texans if they still can't operate legally because of a zoning issue. I agree with a pp there...
I signed the petition as #1160. With the state of the ecomony people need to make money and the best way to do that is by using your hobby skills. Texas just doesn't see how much money they are losing by people illegally making cakes out of their homes....morons.
Unless the order is over $600 or they have already spent $600 with your company you are not required to give them your SS# or EIN. Once a company has spent $601 with your company the have to turn it in to the IRS. It's a way the IRS can keep tabs on your earnings. And you will end up getting a 1099 at the end of the year. Also, there is a form you fill out and must sign....if they just want you to give them this info over the phone I'd tell them to take a flying leap.
Trying to scrape off all of that black is going to be a HUGE mess! You'll never get it all off and then if you try to re-ice it a different color the black will just most likely mix in or bleed through. I would leave it alone as a lesson learned. Surely anyone who eats that will eat around the black....
I totally agree with everything you just said littlecake! Including the all cash method. That's how I opened and operated my shop. I had one business credit card (kinda have to so you can order supplies) that was paid off monthly. When I got pregnant and decided to close there was absolutely no debt to pay back....I paid all of my final expenses (including setting back taxes for next year) and slid the cash of the sale, savings account, and checking account into my...
IMO you set the standard for your employees and they should be re-creating your recipes. Since you know you have a while before you can "open" why don't you start experimenting with different recipes now so you can come up with a menu? If you don't have good food to offer your customers they aren't coming back and on the other hand if you don't have the business sense good food isn't going to keep your business afloat. It's a balance.
Sorry to burst your bubble but from reading your posts it doesn't sound like there is anything in this for the business owner. You know the person who put up all the money to start, pays the monthly bills, & has most likely worked VERY VERY hard day & night to get that cute shop! I had so many people walk into my shop wanting something like what you are proposing....not gonna happen. There are health dept, liability, tax, landlord, & issues that I don't think you are...
I've posted this before and I've said it many times to customers "I'm sorry I don't do cheap cakes"...then I give them directions to the Walmart down the road. Never compromise your prices and talent for someone who wants a cheap cake...it's just not worth it.
IMO you should stick to the course and finish what you've started. Working in a bakery is not all fun and games. It is a LOT of hard work and cranking out the cakes. Owning one is even more stressful. Not to say you shouldn't pursue this in the future but there will always be a need for cakes and you're so close to finishing what you are doing it would be a shame to not follow it through. Again, JMO.