Posts by cakegrandma

I have been making Red Velvet cakes for about 30 years and I always mix the cocoa, water and red food coloring together in a bowl and then pour it into the cake mixture. Make sure you use a spatula to get all of it into the mix. When I mix the vinegar and baking soda together and pour into the batter I use a whisk to mix it thoroughly in. Make sure you use up, over and down to mix it in thoroughly. When that is done I usually turn the bowl and mix again, being sure to...
Where are you at up there? If you are anywhere close to Chamblee check with some of the Asian stores there as there are loads of them. Hope you find some soon enough otherwise, ebay is your best bet for the future. Good luck!!! evelyn
Thanks for the information! I don't have kids so I don't often go through the children's toys. Maybe I had better start doing that for great new tools to use. evelyn
I give written instructions on how to save the top tier. It basically states that they should set it into the freezer so the decorations and the cake are semi frozen, take the cake off the cardboard divider and wrap it really well in plastic wrap. After it has been completely frozen I tell them to put the cake in a plastic container large enough to hold it and tape around the top to seal it even more. I have had many brides tell me the cake was excellent, still moist and...
I got 50# of hi-ratio and what I did was take plastic (fairly large) containers and divide the shortening up into them. I store all of it in the freezer and as I need a new container I take it out the night before so it has thawed the next day for baking. If you have an extra freezer or room in your freezer that would be a great way to keep it. evelyn
AHA!!!! So that is what is wrong with me. I thought all along it was just that I hated being around the public, now I find out that it is because I am an artist and a caker. Here all along I thought it was because I am a b**ch. Really, some days I just hate dealing with the clients, like the one that asked a question about a beach cake I did and when I explained how the shells and other decorations were made, she stated she did not like turquoise. Like DUH, they can...
Thank you for all the answers!!! I wasn't sure about mixing the two colors of fondant together or not since I did not want them to look marbelled but, as though it was striated.evelyn
Will someone please advise how to get the striations in the fondant shells? I have done just colored ones and now need some to look as close to real ones as possible. Thank you in advance for all help I receive.evelyn
I would dispute the charge on my credit card and keep all the paperwork involve with the cutters. When they fight the charge back if the charges (and I say IF) are put back onto your card do not give up. Dispute them again and after the credit card company takes them off a second time the vendor can not have them recharged unless there is a signed credit card sales slip. I would include all that has transpired with the whole transaction including that you were told to...
Are the cardboard toppers going to be inserted or laid on top of the cupcakes? If so I would not like to send product out with cardboard sitting on top as the icing would tend to alter the composition of the cardboard. Is it possible to get little plastic inserts for the cupcakes instead? As far as American buttercream, if that is what she wants then I would make it for her. She is the customer and although you do not care for the taste, again she is the customer. evelyn