Posts by cakegrandma

It seems to me that raising your prices is not going to hurt you anyway.  I mean, you aren't getting any business anyway so why not try it.  At least if you do, then your clientele will not balk at a price change after you get open.  I agree that when you undercut pricing ( like $2.00 a slice) that people consider that your price is 10.00 higher than the stores like Sam's or Walmart so why not go with one of them. After all, it is cheaper, in more ways than one, even...
Anytime you refrigerate your cake and put fondant over the top it will get condensation.  Using swiss meringue it is going to be harder to get those good crisp angles.  Have you tried no applying so much icing underneath the fondant to see how that will work? Normally you apply a small amount more than a crumb coat in order to have the fondant stick.  You would have the same problems with American buttercream, you would not get crisp corners and top edge if you apply too...
Wilton is an inexpensive way to use fondant, however, I would not use it to cover a cake, only for figures to go on top or sides.  If you use a more expensive fondant it will taste much better, believe me.  If you use 2 fondant smoothers then you can hold one on top, over the side of the cake and use another one to smooth the sides.  As you smooth the side bring the one up to meet the bottom part of the one being held on the top of the cake.  If you continue doing this...
Sorry marya92 but for some reason I did not see that you needed and answer until today.  Depending what I have made, such as flowers with thicker bases, I will leave them in for 2 or 3 days.  The bulb in the oven does not use much electricity so I find this is the easiest way to dry them.  Like I said though, be sure to put a sticky not over the oven control. evelyn
I believe that if you ask for advise then you should not argue when it is given.  Listen (or read) what is being relayed and decide if it will work for you.  It is correct that if you sell for inexpensive prices then your clientele will come to expect lower prices no matter what kind of cake the request, even if it is labor intensive.  These customers will tell their friends and you may gain more business but is it worth it to make 10 cake a week at 30.00 each or 5 at...
I store things like that in my oven also.  I will turn on the light to dry Roy Icing flowers, however, put a sticky note on the oven button and this will remind you not to just turn it on.  I relay this hint to my students in course 2.
Tell him being eaten is what you are looking for but, it does not mean that you should lower your price
Ditto paperfishies
If you type "cloth pastry bags into Google you can go onto Amazon and there is a set of 3 heavy cloth bags on there.  I do not have hot hands however, I have purchased some for students in my class that have severely hot hands.  I know other sites have them but this was the easiest to find.  You just wash them as you would any other bag and you might be sure you use shortening or hi ratio shortening as butter has a very low melting point. 
I do not know why they use the white Paper? but the metal nail is called a witch's hat.  It makes it possible to make your flowers without piping a base.  If you look at it, it is the cone shape that you would make to do a rose and other flowers.  My only thought is that rather than wipe the metal nail off after each flower that is piped the flower can be lifted to place onto the cake without getting the nail dirty and having to wash it all the time in between.