Posts by cakegrandma

I would use a crusting buttercream, however, I would not make it from all butter.  Butter has a lower melting temp than shortening, that is why I say not all butter. You could use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening or all shortening.  I use hi ratio shortening all the time and then use a butter flavoring if a butter flavor is wanted, otherwise I flavor with many different types that I usually have on hand.  There are a couple really good crusting icing recipes on there and if...
First question, yes, the dummies will be strong enough to hold a cake of that size on top of them. No dowels needed.  Second answer, go to Dallas Foam and you can order.  They do so many things for their customers.
I took some classes with Nicholas Lodge when I lived in Atlanta and he taught this....  If you are rolling a small amount of fondant then use cornstarch (corn flour) and if you are going to roll a large amount then use shortening. Put a very light application of shortening on your work area and then take a paper towel and wipe the excess off.  All you want to see is a light shine.  Your fondant will then roll much easier and you are able to roll a much larger amount.  Last...
This past weekend I did a baby shower cake for my daughter and my granddaughter was helping make the bassinet that went on top.  We were discussing the cake and putting fondant on it and she said, "Mom probably won't want it, I don't think she'll like it."  I put fondant (Fondarific) on it and everyone, ok, maybe not everyone but the biggest majority, said they loved it.  Even my daughter, so who knows.  I guess it is an either or situation, either they will want it or not.
I am in the no can do boat!  I hate piping that's why I got the letters to cut out, yeesh, my piping words looks like a first grader did it. In fact, if I got a first grader to do it, it would probably turn out fine. 
Like NcLeora said, just ignore her as talking with her or conversing through email will probably send your blood pressure sky high!  Actually, she sounds as though she may be a client that will find little things that aren't correct and nit pick you to death.  As for her saying she would have provided you with a lot of business, doubt it.
I would freeze it well and then wrap dry ice in a big box, not sure though of what is used to protect the cakes from the dry ice.  I know it will make it up there and hopefully someone can tell what is used to do all this.
My apologies to any I may have offended.  I was just stating that clients can be rude in their arguments of not wanting fondant, not that any of us cakers are rude for suggestions that it would look better with it on there as the photo shows. Again, my apologies to anyone I offended.
On the day they are baked I wrap them in Saran and pop them in the freezer. Yes if baked and froze on Monday then I take out with plenty time for them to thaw, torte, fill and ice, and decorate of course.  If the filling needs refrigeration then I pop it back into the fridge.  If not then unless your room is extremely warm you can leave it set out.  If you want to put it in the fridge then go ahead, even if it has fondant on it.  Hopefully that clarified it for you. Sorry...
Put your ball cake together with the half line running horizontal, putting icing on 1/2 half to hold together.  I would cut a small slice off the bottom of 1/2 so it sits level and use a board for under it.  I would use a 6" board and 4 dowels under the board, and after you are ready to put the ball on you can ice the cake board or apply fondant to match your cake, if that is what you are using.  Which ever way you go, you can put a small border around your cake board as...