Posts by cakegrandma

If you have a Gordon's Food Service store anywhere near, you can get Rich's Bettercreme there. They sell it by the quarts and when you whip it use your whip attachment and beat it until it holds a stiff peak and it whips up double of what you poured in.  Some say to use when it is frozen and just scoop some out, I find it tastes better when you can shake it up.  After whipping you can freeze what is not used and actual hold time is on one of the sides.  You may also find...
{For people like me, visual learners, I often take photos of the things that I'm trying out and paste them into my baking notebooks, so I'll remember easily next time.  A photo is worth a thousand words.}  As quoted from MBalaska.   Actually with the economy as it is today that photo is only worth 200 words.!     Thank you AZ for the tutorial, going to get it when I get on FB. 
I myself do not think your price is too high, considering you know what your competition charges.  It is a cute cake and I am glad she decided to go with you.   I would love to have the chart that was posted however, I can't copy it.  Will someone tell me what the chart is called so maybe I can find and copy it?   Thanks every one!
I found long ago to let my shortening mix really well and if I use regular salt that it needs to be dissolved in warm water, small amount of water. Table salt or Kosher salt have larger grains that can be difficult to dissolve and could leave white spots in your icing after it is colored.  I now use popcorn salt and let it dissolve in the shortening.  I don't sift my powdered sugar either, like Sha1Col says, too lazy!   I think if you can purchase some hi ratio shortening...
I would use a crusting buttercream, however, I would not make it from all butter.  Butter has a lower melting temp than shortening, that is why I say not all butter. You could use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening or all shortening.  I use hi ratio shortening all the time and then use a butter flavoring if a butter flavor is wanted, otherwise I flavor with many different types that I usually have on hand.  There are a couple really good crusting icing recipes on there and if...
First question, yes, the dummies will be strong enough to hold a cake of that size on top of them. No dowels needed.  Second answer, go to Dallas Foam and you can order.  They do so many things for their customers.
I took some classes with Nicholas Lodge when I lived in Atlanta and he taught this....  If you are rolling a small amount of fondant then use cornstarch (corn flour) and if you are going to roll a large amount then use shortening. Put a very light application of shortening on your work area and then take a paper towel and wipe the excess off.  All you want to see is a light shine.  Your fondant will then roll much easier and you are able to roll a much larger amount.  Last...
This past weekend I did a baby shower cake for my daughter and my granddaughter was helping make the bassinet that went on top.  We were discussing the cake and putting fondant on it and she said, "Mom probably won't want it, I don't think she'll like it."  I put fondant (Fondarific) on it and everyone, ok, maybe not everyone but the biggest majority, said they loved it.  Even my daughter, so who knows.  I guess it is an either or situation, either they will want it or not.
I am in the no can do boat!  I hate piping that's why I got the letters to cut out, yeesh, my piping words looks like a first grader did it. In fact, if I got a first grader to do it, it would probably turn out fine. 
Like NcLeora said, just ignore her as talking with her or conversing through email will probably send your blood pressure sky high!  Actually, she sounds as though she may be a client that will find little things that aren't correct and nit pick you to death.  As for her saying she would have provided you with a lot of business, doubt it.