Posts by avgsuperheroine

I organize educational events for an organization. We utilize an events center for this and their menu is set up the same way on a per-person basis. We're allowed to give the final count 2-3 business days before hand. This is specifically for the food count, which is how we pay. By the count we give or up to 5% more by the ACTUAL number of people who show up. No less than the count we gave. In my estimation a wedding cake or specialty cake isn't like a per-serving...
It seems like your best way to get new brides is most likely referral. I'd look at finding a creative way to contact your non-wedding customers (or wedding, if you've done some already) and talk to them about referring you to their friends. Maybe you can give a discount on a future order or a special of some sort if they send someone your way.
I do not have a cake business, but I do like to make cakes. Our church has a youth group auction where they raise a lot of money for our thriving youth ministry, people donate things they've made or services etc. I want to donate an animal cake. I've switched to making the same shape cake (2 6x2" cakes with a round top) into an animal that my sons choose for their birthday. People seem to really like them and I thought I could offer making a cake for someone and they...
First you'd want to be sure your website is the way you want it. I'd recommend reading up on how google's advertising program works before starting to use it. When I first began I used a $100 credit I got through Vistaprint (I think they have it available most times, so if you need printed items it's a good deal) to get used to the way it works. Keep careful track of whether it's making you money after the first couple months. Are you seeing hits convert into...
My only opinion from a customer point of view would be when you give a quote that includes a lot of "it should be this, but I'll do it for this" and "it's normally x, but I'm lowering it to y"--it really looks like you don't "have" a pricing structure. If they seem to want to negotiate after the first quote and you really like that sort of environment, sure go ahead and lower it. But when you start out like that it seems like you really just pull all your prices out of...
My only opinion from a customer point of view would be when you give a quote that includes a lot of "it should be this, but I'll do it for this" and "it's normally x, but I'm lowering it to y"--it really looks like you don't "have" a pricing structure. If they seem to want to negotiate after the first quote and you really like that sort of environment, sure go ahead and lower it. But when you start out like that it seems like you really just pull all your prices out of...
I really like freewebs dot com, I have several sites with them, and find their site builder to be really quick and easy and includes a lot of widgets you can use. I also use frontpage on another site, but freewebs is really simple. Do buy a domain though. Good luck with it, it can really be a lot of fun!
I know that we can't tell a lot not being there and hearing your potential customer's wording and tone, but not everyone who says your prices are too high is trying to be rude. A lot of people may not just buy a cake very often (or never have before). I know I've been at stores before and got to the check out and sort of said "gosh, really?" Sometimes it takes a while to process it. A lot of the explainations I've read on here (such as dessert at a restaurant would...
Thank you-I did decide on a smiley face (a yellow one) with the little teeth he's got. It will give me a chance to practice my buttercream stuff since so far I'm really not good at it yet. Practice makes better, though.
Yep, I think a rush fee is the way to go too. I'm a costumer and I need a contract in before we consider it an order. Any order in less than two weeks before they open is a rush job. (We can have up to 70 shows in one week open, so 4-6 weeks lead time is normal for this business).We only charge 15% for a rush fee--but I think a cake would or should or could be more. Good grief, all the work that goes into it and the supplies you have to get ready. Yeah, a little more...