Posts by pumpkinroses

I'm hoping to make a 3D Ho-Oh cake for my son's birthday the end of January. It will be positioned as if it were landing, talons out front, wings stretched and head kind of leaning forward. I've attached a picture of Ho-Oh so give an idea of what I'm talking about. I plan on stacking round cakes (slightly offset) and carving them for the body, the head will be done in RKT covered in fondant, and the base of the wings will be wire, for support, covered in RKT with fondant...
I usually freeze my cake unfrosted also. I actually use 2 layers of saran and 2 layers of foil. I have froze them both warm out of the oven as well as cooled off, both ways still produce a nice moist cake when unthawed.I have froze cakes frosted with BC and Fondant. These ones I placed the cakes in the box and covered the entire box the same way as above.When thawing both ways, I leave the cakes covered in the foil and saran wrap until completely thawed, either...
I need help on how to get the girls names on the cakes. My idea was the butterfly showing the girls names. I am asking for any other ideas. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.
I have a 1st birthday party cake coming up next month. I am doing the 2 of the large caterpillar cakes shown. The theme is the Very Hungry Caterpillar. The cupcakes that will also be made will have rolled BC with pieces of the food it eats through on it. The part I'm struggling with is the 2 caterpillars twins and one of the twins died shortly after birth. I want to incorporate each of the girls names onto the cake but I haven't figured out how to do it.One idea I had...
It's the only recipe I use. I do use the glyercin and it always turns out great!
I know that at my daughters birthday I had about 10 people and there was A LOT of left overs that I took into work. I would say though the body is about 40servings, head about 12, and the legs about 20, so totaling approximating 62 servings. I adjusted the normal servings suggestions to reflect what was carved off. The bear ended up standing about 24" tall. He was quite big.
I did a hand carved bear cake twice. The link is my first one and I list what size cakes I used to carve the different parts.http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1197089HTHNikki
Thanks for the idea's scoutmamma. Those are both good names also. I will look into them.
I kinda like that Doug, thanks!
Thanks for all the great advice. Sorry it's been a little while I didn't get any notices that there were other replies. I don't plan on having a full business or even advertising but when I do a cake for friends or family, that I have to label, I would like a name associated with me and maybe then word of mouth would get me a few other orders. This is how the search started. It's even funny because my husband's name is Chris and when I Googled Nikki's cakes, a website...