Posts by fytar

I've made several cakes that were only a 2" difference in the tiers...one of the things that you want to take into account is if you need to put stuff around the "ledge" of each tier like flowers or fondant figures or anything that you need to sit nicely without fear of it falling off, you may want to go with at least a 4" pan difference between each tier in those cases. I don't have it posted but I have a 4 tiered square wedding cake that was made recently and it only...
' I know this isn't answering your question, but I had to comment on this. Perfect example of them not being as popular as they are in their own little world: My SIL has her wedding planned for 150. Does not want to go the extra mile to actually send out invitations, but rather post a notice on the bulletin board at church and at work with only about 30 hand-mailed personalized invitations sent mostly to family. Yes, to family! Well, she first chooses to get married on...
because i haven't yet ordered any of the wedding bouqet i use vanilla and almond. i only use half of what her recipe calls for. where the recipe calls for 11-12 TBS of the liquid creamer mixture, I use 12 TBS of just hot water and then only 2 TBS of flavoring - usually all Almond, but sometimes I'll do 1 1/2 almond and 1/2 vanilla - this is just because i don't personally like too much almond flavor and the clear vanilla doesn't quite make me that happy either...my...
creme boquet tastes more like lemon too! bought two bottles a year ago before i realized this and now the only time i feel it's okay to use it is when i have a citrusy type cake. not what i would use on everyday cakes, especially chocolate. to each his own i guess.as for the icing not taking color and seperating...i too use sharon's recipe. however, when i use high-ratio shortening everything seems to work perfectly. but, when i mix half high-ratio to half crisco or...
I prefer using a yellow or butter recipe golden DH brand. I use one box of Jello Brand Devil's Food Instant Pudding. I add 3 heaping TBSP of Hershey's cocoa powder. I have a bad habit of not really going by a recipe or either going over some of the amounts or adding other stuff. So, with that said here is what I have used to make a yellow cake mix into chocolate:1 box DH Butter Recipe or Yellow1 package Jellow instant pudding (Devil's Food)3 heaping TBS cocoaadd a...
I immediately freeze my batter that I have left over. I've added it to new batter and I've baked it by itself. I've not really had a problem with it rising. But like I said, I usually add it to new batter to stretch the recipe. So maybe that has a lot to do with the success of it rising okay. I make cupcakes out of it in in a pinch - it comes in handy when I need a quick treat for company. I know people keep saying to bake it and freeze it, but I've usually only got...
Southern Homes and Gardens on the Wetumpka Hwy (Hwy 231) has an extensive supply line from High-Ratio shortening to silver wedding cake stands. What I can't get there and at Michael's (I believe I've heard rumors that the Montgomery Michael's is now closed but Prattville is just up I-65 about 10 miles and they have a good bit of cake decorating stuff), I order online. I've been getting really great, fast service on Into The Oven online. I need to see what might be...
Hi, there! I usually dissolve a pea size amount of gumpaste in about a tsp of water and use that as the glue. Haven't tried the meringue powder but I've noticed it referenced a few times when I've searched for gumpaste flower instructions.By the way, any of you know where to find patterns for a lily (don't have time to purchase cutters)?
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, I'm gonna meet some cakies!! I've always felt left out when I'd see fellow CCers get together - I mean, really, nobody seems to want to play together here in Alabama!! You guys just wait, when I build my house, there's going to be some cake partying going on!! Husband will have to get used to it!! My first party is going to have to include my good 'ole pal Stephanie214...I know, Virginia is a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg ways off, but hey, I can...
I saw Duff use royal icing to seam the base of each tier to the next so that the stacked tiers looked like they were all one cake. He didn't have to use borders then.