Posts by breelaura

I know this question has been batted about quite a bit here, but I'd like to ask specifically those out there who have used both Americolor gel and Chefmaster liqua-gel colorings a couple of questions. Feel free to throw in other brands you think bear consideration - I've used Americolor (and -ahem- Wilton) so I've got that as a basis for comparison.1. Taste. Is there a comparative difference in the ick factor, especially in reds/blacks? Who gets your vote?2. Intensity. ...
As far as I am concerned, no technique is passe - only what you do with it! There are things you can do with an airbrush that just simply cannot be replicated otherwise. I think people just assume when you say "airbrush" that you're talking about something that looks like those t-shirts and license plates, or the airbrushed grocery store cakes, or what have you (which aren't the most beautiful things ever, but kids love 'em, so who cares if some snotty folk think they're...
I'm in the cream cheese camp. I did boiled roux (aka Frech Buttercream, "whipped cream," etc.), and it's okay, but (a) it's not particularly stable at room temperature (learned that one the hard - or should I say soft? - way), and (b) I wasn't particularly impressed with it, especially since it's so much more trouble than cream cheese!
Red velvet is a devil's food-type recipe that originally got its coloring from the reaction between alkaline in the cocoa and the acid in buttermilk. Most cocoa these days will NOT create this reaction, unless you specifically look for unprocessed, so yeah, most recipes end up with a little cocoa and a lot of red food coloring. My recipe has 4 tablespoons of cocoa, so that might not get you a bright orange, but if you went with a recipe with less cocoa and used orange...
Cinnamon cream cheese or chocolate ganache with cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice if you like), OR either with ginger. Toasted nuts of any kind, regardless of filling choice. If you want to go a little different, DARK chocolate with cinnamon (and just a touch of cayenne or other chili powder if you want to take it in a Mexican direction).
Elasticity comes in large part from your corn syrup. I tried to find your recipe but I have no idea what "peggy's" fondant is and it isn't on cc under that name. I know at least one recipe here omits the corn syryp, and it flat doesn't work for me, so that may be your problem if you didn't have any (or enough) syrup. Adding the entire amount of PS will also cause lack of elasticity, and 2lbs is too much for one 16-oz bag of marshmallows. Usually the recipe will say to...
Ditto on the extender.
It looks like the Wilbur is actually chocolate and not candy coating, in which case it does need to be tempered. The pp's link is a good place to start. The chocolate should already be in temper when you purchase it, but overheating it (over 93 degrees farenheit) destroys the crystalline structure, so it has to be re-tempered. Bear in mind that 93 degrees is cooler than body temperature, so if it feels warm to the touch (a good place to test is just above your upper lip,...
Thanks guys, and sorry to take so long to acknowledge your responses... somehow I forgot to watch my own stupid topic!
Has anyone used the Satin Ice pre-colored red fondant (or any other brand, for that matter)? Does it taste like "red"? (Y'all know what I mean.) I like the taste of fondant in general (except the melted-Barbie-flavored Wilton), so that's not a problem. In general, does anybody have recommendations for a pre-colored red fondant product? I've always colored my own in the past, but it may well be worth the extra $$ not to have to mess with it (and clean up the mess FROM...