Posts by queenarmadillo

I would like to put a candy thermometer on my Christmas list, but am not really sure which one to go for. I was thinking electronic might be ideal cos I dont think I would necessarily be the best at keeping an eye on it and I understand some of the electronic ones can be programed to beep when the desired temperature is reached? It doesnt need to be the most sophisticated one in the world, just something to help with marshmallow, jam etc and maybe move into a bit of simple...
I really wish the book tour was coming to the UK!My first thought on the cup cake competition was that it would be really awesome to see one completely covered with plastic flotsam. There is a fantastic one on cakewrecks somewhere with a beach and a palm tree and a car and I think Mickey mouse and other stuff. I cant decide if it would be better with minature flotsam for the cupcake, or whether full size toys would add more to the ridiculousness.There is also the slightly...
I would keep it all quite cartooney looking, and avoid anything grusome e.g zombies with blood showing/skin hanging off/eyes falling out. Gravestones on stuff always used to creep me out as a child too; I always prefer to avoid the link between sad things like human death, and fun scarey things like ghosts and skeletons.
I got the recipe for a "beat and bake orange cake" from the recipes section on this site, and it is fantastic (particularly with chocolate frosting).
I do my giant cookies with my regular recipe, which is quite a "rising" recipe so gives a very moist result. I put a full batch into a large pie dish, which makes it a bit thicker than usual, and turn the oven 5 -10 degrees cooler which I think helps to stop it burning on top before the middle is cooked. I know roughly how long it takes for this now, but when I was first experimenting I found it quite difficult to know if it was done in the middle as my cookies always came...
Its not possible because the brown of the chocolate is too dark. You could maybe try making hearts from milk chocolate, then dipping them in a thin coating of red white chocolate - this should be ok as long as you chill the milk hearts first so they dont melt in the white and mix colours. I have also seen places sprinkle chocolate with a kind of red dust once dried to give it a red appearance on the surface. I have absolutely no idea what this is, but it tastes like some...
From a web-critique point of view, I had two issues with your website:1) I had to navigate into the galleries to get a really good impression of your work; if Im skimming all the bakeries in the area I might not bother to do this. Its great that you have such a wide range of cakes on your site, indexed by type, but I would firstly pick 2/3 that you think REALLY showcase your talent (maybe two contrasting wedding cakes and your best 3D birthday cake) and make them big and...
Thank you all for your advice and reassurance. It has turned out fine, except for a tiny bit at the bottom which I really melted, so have just repiped that section. I couldn't believe how well it turned out in the end, so I will definitely use the FBCT technique again (but next time will not get distracted at a crucial point).
In a fit of ambition, I volunteered to make my little sister's 21st birthday cake. All was going well, FBCT tinkerbell sat ready to go on cake, top of cake iced. All was going well until the doorbell rang. 30 mins later I return to the cake, set Tinkerbell on top, and she is no longer frozen! The paper wont come off the transfer, and the buttercream adhered to the cake too well to remove the whole thing cleanly. That was mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 was to decide...
I would not look at this as "can you get the money for your own place" so much as "would you make more profit in your own place". Once you have sorted that out it will be much easier for you to get the money if you need it. Many people with businesses get distracted by prestige and size and ownership. rather than profits, but it is profits that pay the bills and keep your business going and a pleasure to run in the long term. Are you currently operating at full capacity...