Posts by staceyboots

HiI have a question about entering cake decorating competitions.A local company will be conducting a Bakery and Pastry Expo during the month of October and there are three scheduled competitions:1. Wedding Cake of the Year2. Novelty Cake of the Year3. Great Cake of the Year (great cake is like a Caribbean fruit cake)I am interested in entering these 3 competitions but there is an entrance fee of BDS$100 (USD$50) per entry. Is this something common? Do people generally...
thanks for the information on this thread!i tried making 2 batches of modeling chocolate a few weeks ago and they both came out disastrous.
Hi CC'ersI am about experiment with some chocolate-covered Oreo cookies and I need some advice. The recipe that I will be using calls for 12ozs chocolate chips (either dark or white) and 1 tbsp shortening.I want to test the white chocolate version because I have some Americolor Electric colours that I would like to use. My question is:I know that typically I should add some FloCoat to the gel paste colours but do I need to do this since the melted chocolate already...
Hi AngelaThanks for the response.Maybe I overkneaded the modeling chocolate too much. I should probably knead it until pliable, let it cool and then knead it into the fondant.I will let you know how it works out.Stacey
HiHas anyone had any success adding modeling chocolate (dark chocolate) to fondant?I can make the modeling chocolate quite easily and I use Michele Foster's fondant recipe; however, when it comes to combining the two the mixture always seems to crumble and look dry.Any advice? What ratio of m/chocolate to fondant do you use?Stacey
Hey everyoneHere's an update!I attempted the FBCT yesterday and it turned out great! I'll try to upload a photo later.Thanks again, ladies
Thanks, Marianna! I'll try the black buttercream and see how it works.
Hi allI am about to attempt my first FBCT and took the time to review the article here on CC as well as some youtube videos. However, most of the instructions suggest the use of the black ready-made icing in the tube but I can't find it locally (apparently it is better to use this instead of black buttercream because the BC tends to bleed).Can I use black piping gel instead to make my outline?Stacey
Oh! That is very cute!Thanks, grandmomof1...I will definitely try this one
Hi grandmomof1Thanks for the reply. I checked out the link and it seems a bit complicated for my skill level Any other options?