Posts by staceyboots

HiI used the same recipe a few nights ago and the gumpaste was a nightmare to work with as well. I found that it dried out rather quickly and it was very difficult to knead any colour into it. I was almost tempted to throw out the entire batch and try another recipe.However, when I went back to it a few hours later the texture had improved somewhat. It was easier to roll out but adding colour was still a headache (even after microwaving it for a few seconds and adding...
I use booze in my cakes all the time. On my shelf, I have:Chambord Creme de MentheGrand MarnierIrish CreamMount Gay Brown Rum Port Wine (I use a mixture of port wine, brown rum and stout to soak my fruits)LemoncelloKirsch
HiI am about to attempt using MP for the first time and I read that it is perfect for plaques since it is not as flexible as fondant and gumpaste.I also read that it dries out rather quickly and becomes very hard the next day after curing so I was wondering if I could use it to make larger "plaques" like for the sides of a wine crate box. Will the MP give me enough time to roll out these larger sizes? Will it be difficult to knead large pieces of MP to a workable...
Hi I will be entering a cake competition in October and I have found a wine-crate design that I would look to work on. However, I am stuck on the bedst medium to use for this project.I will be using cake dummies and most likely be covering to sides of the cake with panels (with a woodgrain effect). The edges of each panel will have "teeth" so that the corners will slot into each other. Which is the best medium to use? Gumpaste...Mexican paste...pastillage? Do they all...
HiI live in the Caribbean so it can get pretty hot.When you cookies are set, do they get pretty hard or are they still soft to the touch?
HiI am having some trouble with my chocolate-covered Oreo cookies. Aren't they supposed to set pretty hard so that you can package them? Somehow, mine always end up soft to the touch. They set pretty firmly in the fridge but when I take them out of the fridge (after about 30 minutes) they get soft (condensation of course).Do you leave them out on the counter overnight? Should I leave them in an A/C room for a few hours? How can I beat this? How long do yours take to...
Hi Thanks for your comments.i'll just scrape off some of the BC when I am ready to decorate.Stacey
Hi How much buttercream is too much buttercream?I have a 9" round chocolate cake that I trimmed to an 8" round and then covered the sides with buttercream. The thing is that I am supposed to cover the sides of the cake with fondant basketweave that will be made out of fondant rope (so I will be attaching this by hand).Am I using too much buttercream?Since the fondant basketweave is just a "decoration", does the amount of buttercream underneath matter?I am using a crusting...
Hi KimAZThanks for your input, it was very informative.I guess that I have to decide whether I can spend the BDS$300 on the entry fees and not expect anything spectacular in return (even though I will still do my best).Stacey
Hi UnlimitedThank for the response and clarification. I think I'll go ahead and submit my forms. I'm so excited!!!!