Posts by cakesbyamym

DH used a sheet of MDF board. He used his saw to cut out the graduated tiers and 1/2" dowel rods. He says that the next one will be made with the 3/4" dowel rods. He countersunk/pre-drilled four holes for each base about half way through the board. He used glue on each end of the dowel rods and screwed them through the board. The screw will hold it in place, but the glue is permanent. Repeat from smallest tier to the largest. He says if you do it largest to...
I'll get the details from him and post a response a little later on. He's enthralled in the race right now. LOL.Amy
I have a photo of my cupcake tower that my fabulous and talented DH built for me last summer. He used "MDF?" boards and dowels rods. We chose graduated sizes, such as 24" base; 20", 16" and so on. He spaced each tier about 4" apart. I'm so proud of him. It really provided a wonderful display for the 1,100 cupcakes that I was contracted to do a for a local hospital's 40th anniversary last year. The tree held about 200-250 regular sized cupcakes at one time, and of...
*Update to my original post*I just received an e-mail request to take one of the previously stated date options for a tasting if it was still available. I happily worked her into my schedule where I had an opening.I don't know if I've mentioned this since actually DOING it, but I quit my "other" FT job with the school system the week of Valentine's to pursue my bakery FT. I am making a point to schedule my orders around my children's school activities, church, doctor's...
Thanks so much everyone. I have rarely turned customers away...I always put myself out to accommodate last-minute orders whenever possible. Like someone else mentioned, I only do tastings for wedding cakes. However, this is a cake for 75, so again, I wanted to show a little extra effort for her. Thanks again for the support!!!! Amy
I had a potential customer to contact me on Tuesday (today is Thursday) wanting to sample some of my cakes for a 16th bd for her DD. No problem. With wedding season in full bloom right now, my availability for tastings is VERY limited. I typically schedule tastings on Saturday (DH works out of town Monday-Friday, so Saturdays work well...he can keep an eye on the kids.) So, I give her a few days/times that I can potentially meet with her and her DD. No good. None of...
I have that exact clause inserted in my contracts, too. I believe that I found that here on CC, too. So far, no problems since my original posting last year. Additional cakes being on site are a non-issue. That clause clears me of liability issues from another's possibly mishandled cake. I just don't need the hassle. All of my brides have been just fine with it. Amy
Nope, no discount here either. I had a consultation with the MOB last weekend. She and her daughter (NOT the bride) came in (10 minutes late) and were gone in less than 15 minutes! Why??? She wanted a cake for 200 for $350!!!!! She said that they were on a tight budget (isn't everyone?) and that another baker had already quoted her that price. I said, "$3.50 per person?". She commented back, "NO, $350 for the entire cake." I charge $2.75 per serving for...
It's a scam....DELETE. I got the exact same e-mail earlier in the week, and even posted about it. Some people are just losers and need some other way to fill their spare time. Hey, instead of of trying SCAMS to make money....here's something you might try.....GET A REAL JOB!!!! (I sure hope that the losers are reading this!) LOL. Amy
You may recall my post a few weeks back regarding my order for 850 cupcakes for our local hospital's 40th anniversary celebration. Well, my husband has constructed a 5-tiered cupcake tower that I am just bowled over by! It's still damp from the white paint, but I'm estimating an easy display of 150 (standard sized) cupcakes will fit. I'm so proud that I'm going to upload a photo of it to my photos. Just had to share my pride in him. Amy