Posts by cakesbyamym

Absolutely ask for your equipment back; however, if it's not already set into a signed contract, you might just not ever see your items again. I charge equipment deposits for my MDF covered cake boards for all of my three and up tiered cakes. The deposit covers my expense at having to purchase additional wood to have DH cut out more boards. I charge $35 for each, and if returned in the same condition as delivered in, within 3 business days, I give them their $35 deposit...
This infuriates me to no end. You know, we're looking at buying DH a new truck. Can I just go strutting up to the salesman and cut HIS price in 1/2 and drive the car home??? Um, no. WE don't set other businesses prices as consumers. Why is it that people try to bargain with those of us with small businesses/home-based businesses??? We are just as legitimate as any other business. As for your DH, I think it's wonderful that he was willing to save you the anger...
As someone else mentioned earlier, if a bride takes the time to meet with me and pay the booking deposit, her rate is locked into the contract for my prices at the time that she booked. I just feel that that is fair. JMO...Amy
Amen, Indydebi! I like seeing those dates booked, too. Amy
In May 2007, I booked a wedding for December 2008. Brides are booking farther and farther in advance for many reasons. I'm finding that my brides are wanting to get all of the details and vendors squared away; be able to pay over time for their purchases; and simply just to have the peace of mind of knowing that everything has been taken care of for their big day. I have 5 tastings scheduled for 5/10, and 3 of them are for 2009 weddings. For me, there is no such thing...
I transport each tier individually, and assemble, add final touches and do touch-ups on site. There is no way I'd attempt to transport and entire wedding cake put together....they don't make Valium strong enough for me to even try that. It's so much easier to do it this way. Amy
I use them all of the time, too. I just love the look and shine! So do my customers.Amy
I make 6" round cakes for each flavor requested. I cut the cake in half, half again, and so on, until I can get 8 nice pieces out of each flavor of cake. The bride may choose up to three (3) flavors that she'd like to sample from my flavor selection menu. I use an ice cream scoop to scoop up my icings. They just look really nice when they're all uniform in size and shape...JMO. Each cake is made fresh, yes. I'm too scared to freeze. LOL. Knowing me, I'd do THAT...
I can understand your frustration, as well; however, I always answer each e-mail or each phone call in anticipation of booking THIS order. Like you mentioned, I have a very, very detailed FAQ section on my wedding cakes page, so every question that could possibly come up is right there for inquiring customers, in addition to pricing, delivery fees, you name it. You're always going to have your folks that have paid for everything else, and feel that the cake should be the...
No. It's glued and screwed together. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander (a smaller SUV), and it fits very nicely, upright for travel.Amy