Posts by cakesbyamym

Thanks so very much for the input everyone. I have sent the bride another e-mail letting her know that as of today....no payment in today's mail either....her cake order would be cancelled. I added that if she chose to reinstate the contract and order, there would be a $100 late fee due in addition to the final balance. If I don't receive both by Wednesday of this week, no cake would be made/delivered for her wedding.From now on, I will make the clients who book sign a...
Here is my situation....I am having to remind brides two and three times about their balances being due. When I conduct the bridal consultation, I am firm about telling them that all balances are due on/before 30 days prior to the event date, or the event will be cancelled. Again, in the contract, there is a stipulation reminding them of the above. I have had TWO brides to pay on time this entire year. TWO...out of twenty? Ridiculous. This follows two weeks prior to...
I never, ever put anything fondant in the fridge. I've never had any luck with it. I just keep it in a cool place...under a low speed ceiling fan, for example. I delivered a bridal shower cake last summer to our country club, and specifically told them NOT to put the cake in the cooler...ALL fondant accents, bow topper, loop bows, etc. Well, they put it into the cooler anyway, and when the hostess showed up to begin decorating, the cake was a mess. All of the fondant...
I have been a cake decorator for both Winn Dixie and Food Lion grocery store chains. In the grocery/big box chains, it's all about keeping the shelves filled and the speed at which you decorate. I would never knock a person for where they work. NEVER. What I am fussing about is people expecting a unique, custom cake for the SAME price as a Sam's or a Walmart, etc. That's the exact reason that I have my prices laid out for my potential clients on my site. If they can't...
Here are my individual replies to her. Still haven't heard back from her, either. (1) My prices were absolutely outrageous. It is your perogative to place an order for a cake anywhere that you choose to do so. My prices are clearly stated on the "flavors and pricing tab" on my web site, and you even said that you knew that pricing would be a "little" more due to it being a custom cake, and when I offered you a quote for the cake in question, you stated that it was...
This follows up to a BTB of mine contacting me regarding her groom's cake. She booked her wedding cake over a year ago, and insisted that her MIL and FIL come to the consultation, AND have their own samples to try for the groom's cake. Well, normally, I would NEVER offer additional samples above the three that I normally provide at consultations. I did...b/c she seemed SO sure of booking the groom's cake, as well, and the wedding cake IS a huge order. SO, she contacts...
I had a lady contact me a few weeks back regarding a shower cake for a friend's upcoming baby shower. NO problem. She wanted a certain theme, so I pulled some ideas in the way of photos, as well as, gave her some thoughts of my own for the cake to make it totally unique and personal. So, she decides on a 1/2 sheet cake instead of the tiered cake option. No problem. I quoted her the price ($45 + tax). I didn't hear back, and followed up with her last night via e-mail. ...
without it looking tacky??? I suggested a "road of life" them, where it's like a jouney to the top (50th birthday) with event along the way. The customer didn't really care for that. Here is what I have that she wants included:REFEREEING: penalty flag, ref hatPLUMBING: wrenches, pipes, a toiletFIREMAN: shield, firehose, hydrantOUR TOWN: town shieldPOLITICS: republican party elephantDISNEY: mouse earsShe wants the square cake (2 tiers) to be light and cheery in...
I had phone calls of interest from my door magnets (before they blew off of the stupid car!). One day, I was sitting at a stop light in town, and my cell phone rang. I answered, and the lady on the other end said, "Hey, I'm uhh...sitting right beside you, and..." I look to my left, and she goes, "No, on your right." I looked over and she smiled real big and waived at me. I laughed so hard. It was just funny. She then wanted pricing information, but I don't believe...
I don't know what the deal is, but the past two weeks, I have had three cake tastings to be cancelled/no shows. I rarely, if ever, have cancellations, but I'm contemplating doing something that I swore I would never do...charge for tastings. Any thoughts? What is your policy?