Posts by rwarren

Hi I hope it's not too late to add something.   We've found that taking an existing recipe and "converting" it with sugar substitutes produces mixed results.  Getting a recipe directly from the company (e.g. www.splenda.ca) turns out much nicer.   Sugar-free icing remains a huge challenge for me. I shall definitely bookmark Cakemom's recipe and keep looking for something shelf-stable.
 Nice pun :)  Actually I do bake from scratch.  The pricing formula in your blog was similar to the one described in the seminar, with much more detail particularly in the labor section.   No I didn't say the presenter was "wrong".  It was informative and eye-opening.  I'm saying that I get so few orders as it is, if I increase my prices to this level, I can expect no orders at all.  Most of my sales currently are at craft/art shows and church sales.  It is very...
I attended a pricing session at IBIE earlier this month. I had someone ask me about a cake today and I used this new (to me) price model: ingredients, labor, overhead, profit. The numbers I got out scare me to pieces.   For a half-sheet cake (serving 50) I come up with a price of $157.75 with delivery. I'm sorry but I can't see anyone here paying that kind of money for a cake. I've already had some unpleasant remarks when I increased my cupcake prices to $2 each.  
 My background is in I.T., and I've been out of work since last year. I've been wondering if I should make a living as a decorator. I inquired at one shop where there was a help wanted sign. I was discouraged to learn that I make more on EI doing nothing, than if I worked as an "assistant pastry chef" at the cupcake store. :( While I don't expect to make I.T. wages doing cakes, is it normal for salaries to be this low??
 Well who's going to pay $5 for a cupcake?! We have a hard enough time selling them at $1.50! And at the flea market, they expect them at 50 cents! (NO we don't sell them that low!!)
Once a month, we do a flea market at a church, indoors.Occasionally (once or twice a year) we do an art show, where cake decorating counts as art (yay), indoors.In the past, we have done a farmer's market, walkable from our house, outdoors. We have rented tables at craft shows and other flea markets, if they are one-day shows, almost all indoors. (Longer shows are too expensive for us and we have nowhere to store food overnight.) The kind of events I have had my eye...
Dear decorators, Does anyone here regularly do sales outdoors? And if so, how well does it go for you? This being festival season, there are a number of sales and other events held outdoors. I want to do tables at them, but my partner-in-crime steadfastly refuses. She much prefers to plod along at a monthly (indoor) church sale. Our previous experience at outdoor farmer's markets: -- You are chasing the sun with your tent -- assuming you get a tent! Every 20-30...
Yup I do this once or twice a month. Inventory is limited to what mom and I can carry on public transit: 4 large cloth bags with goodies and supplies, more if we can set up the night before. Where we usually go, cake/cupcakes sell very poorly, so it's more cookies, loaves, tarts, etc. Shelf-stable items, we have no fridge available. At the art show where cupcakes fly off the table, that translates into 4-5 dozen cupcakes and 3 full sized cakes, plus some cookies....
Please do NOT use pancake syrup! It is so not the same thing. And maple extract doesn't have quite the same flavor as maple syrup. There are so many complex flavors in maple syrup that the product can be described similar to wine. You want a dark syrup for baking. I usually get Medium, which is about as dark as I can get at a consumer level. (Canadian and American syrup isn't graded the same way.) If you have a choice, buy it in a can; you don't need to pay for a...
Sorry for chiming in a little late. Heart-shaped gingerbread cookies are sold at Oktoberfest in Munich. They come in several sizes, on a ribbon to wear around your neck. They are decorated very prettily and can be personalized on the spot.me I'd eat a heart-shaped cookie any day of the year, if it tasted good...