Posts by lrlt2000

I just used my very first wrappers, for my 2 year old's birthday party I printed them from a website, cut and glued. What I noticed was that without a guide for where to glue them together, there is a broad range of fit to your cupcake/liner. If you overlap the edges of the wrap too much, your cupcake will sit "up" in the finished wrapper, whereas if you overlap the edges less, the cupcake can sit further down in the fastened wrapper. The tighter your wrap (or "cone"),...
If it's the leftover, no, I wouldn't throw it out. I use not-so-great MMF batches for details. It might not be great for covering a whole cake, but you can still use it for extras. As you make small details with the fondant, adding corn starch when you roll out/cut/etc., it may toughen up, too.
I have no idea why it's not firming up for you!!! I am just not familiar enough with that recipe to help--I don't know what the 16oz of marshmallows I use equals in cups (to compare with your recipe). Maybe you are heating your marshmallows too much?? Are you letting the fondant rest over night before using?? It may be too hot still (even thought it might not feel like it). It does firm up a bit upon cooling, and that makes it more pliable/usable with corn starch for...
I have to refrigerate because I have fresh strawberries in it. I think I'm going to final coat tonight and then decorate in the morning just to be safe! I'm always afraid to leave the cake in the fridge overnight for 12 hours only to see 12 hours worth of damage in the morning, LOL! At least if I'm awake, I can catch the damage as it starts
It could be a bad batch or the humidity, not sure. I know that when I use any marshmallows other than store brand, I have trouble with consistency and bubbles. I also have terrible luck with homemade chocolate fondant!! It's never ever elastic and stretchy as it should be, once chocolate enters the picture. I've just resolved to purchase chocolate fondant when I need it (or brown or black colored fondant).Some swear that fondant can be refrigerated with no trouble, but...
This client wants a candy themed cake, but wants no fondant on it--so she wants buttercream outer and all candy accents are real candy. I just realized that if I decorate tonight, the unwrapped candies may melt or bleed into the buttercream!! Does anyone have any insights on this!?? I basically have candy Legos, miniature Gobstoppers (the teeny tiny ones that are the size of Nerds) for the border at the cake board, Swedish Fish, candy necklace candies, Runts and Wilton...
sfandm: those are the ones I was looking at Thanks everyone!
I wonder if I filled a hollow type butterfly mold with royal icing, if it would dry and pop out with the butterfly impression? Anyone ever do that??
I wonder if I filled a hollow type butterfly mold with royal icing, if it would dry and pop out with the butterfly impression? Anyone ever do that??
Wow, those RI butterflies are beautiful! But I haven't had any luck with using RI this way. I tried the technique with snowflakes last Winter and 75% of them broke, and if I made them thicker, they weren't very pretty or delicate! I researched how to make RI more sturdy for that purpose, but couldn't find anything.I will have to research the molds you've each recommended. I like the look of the PME plunger type ones, as I like that style for doing flowers. Anyone used...