Posts by lrlt2000

Forgot to mention: I have tried dozens of BC recipes, from crusting to non, flour and no flour, cooked and not cooked, dairy and no dairy, Dream Whip and no Dream Whip The one I recommended is the best I've found (outside of I/SMBC).
I arrived at the same conclusion I thankfully stumbled upon BakingJeannie's Fluffy Buttercream recipe and it is all I use now!!! And it's *much* easier and faster than I/SMBC.http://cakecentral.com/recipe/fluffy-american-buttercream
As for your schedule, it sounds to me like you (like me) have a hard time saying "no." You need to simplify your life as much as possible, and in doing so, be okay with not doing some of those things. You need to establish which things are absolutely priority right now. I had to say no to a few cakes this month because I had/have 130 handmade gum paste carnations to do for my brother's wedding next weekend, which is 500 miles away. I have a 2 year old, and an 8 and 10...
LOL, you are not going to believe me, but I was just about to post a "comisery" post about home bakers with toddlers I was going to ask what your situation is and what you do to bribe or occupy your toddler!!! )
I'm still learning, but I've had luck with Peggy's MMF recipe for years. I've tried several true from-scratch fondant recipes, but none ever work as well. I also have the best luck with store brand mini marshmallows, versus the name brand ones. One other warning about homemade fondant--it sometimes takes several attempts of working with it, and learning when too much powdered sugar is too much, and when too little is too little. Don't get frustrated if one or the other...
kakeladi, I tried NL gumpaste, but it too came out ROCK HARD! Maybe I beat the egg whites too long??? Do you think that would cause this result?
I mixed tylose with MMF and it was working great, but the flowers were not drying as hard as I wanted. So, I added more tylose I think I added too much, because now it is hard as a rock (after resting and coming to room temp). It is a bit harder than store bought GP at room temp.I can work with it fine, after microwaving for a few seconds, but it is really rubbery and makes an already tedious process (carnations) even more tedious and hard to ruffle. I tried to heat it...
Thanks, cakecraving! When would you bake, though??? And how would you store the baked cupcakes before frosting? And when would you frost and decorate!?
I have browsed around other posts and responses for an answer, but nothing really fits my situation. I am baking 120 wedding cupcakes for my brother's wedding, which is Saturday morning September 8th. I've not done many cupcakes before (mostly cakes), and certainly never so many that I have to bake ahead. Here are my variables:1. I'm in NC, the wedding is at my parents' house in Cape May, NJ2. Wedding's on Saturday morning, reception 12pm; I will arrive (with my 2 year...
I have browsed around other posts and responses for an answer, but nothing really fits my situation. I am baking 120 wedding cupcakes for my brother's wedding, which is Saturday morning September 8th. I've not done many cupcakes before (mostly cakes), and certainly never so many that I have to bake ahead. Here are my variables:1. I'm in NC, the wedding is at my parents' house in Cape May, NJ2. Wedding's on Saturday morning, reception 12pm; I will arrive (with my 2 year...