Posts by lrlt2000

I have only been scratch baking for about a year. I still have not found a chocolate cake/cupcake recipe I like and I have no formal baking background (to know about the science ).I found four recipes that I like the "look" of, and set out a comparison of their ingredients in Excel. Can anyone tell me what you think the result will be, **based on chemistry**?? In other words, will one or another be "dense and fudgey" versus "light and fluffy," etc.?I need to make a 2- or...
And as mckaren mentioned, I found 100% GP worked the best and allowed me to get extremely thin petals with frill/fray without breakage.
I ended up with carnations that looked much better than those I posted here in this thread. Here is the link to the most recent thread with my final-final carnations: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=748768&highlight=
As for the carnations--I used the PME cutters, but it took dozens of trials and errors to get them to look like they did. I finally got a good method down, and believe it or not, it was using accessories not meant for flower making I think I posted that elsewhere on the forum--my make shift flower making supplies, when I didn't have the proper stuff. I eventually got the flower foam pads, but after using those for awhile, preferred my makeshift ways I first made little...
Thanks!dawnybird: I used the PME cutters for both The daisies were delicate because I think I rolled the GP too thin. Then, I used the flower/leaf tool to thin/texture each petal by hand. I stopped balling them first, because they were already pretty thin I layered only two of the same size, then placed them on an inverted crystal tumbler, which had nice snowflake-like groves in it that forced the petals to separate from each other nicely as it dried. Here is a picture...
Okay, the photographer just posted the wedding photos--she only published 3, and you cannot really see the details too well. Here they are, along with the display that I put together with whatever my mom had (plus a little help from Michael's, of course ). . .
Thanks, mbranko24! I read it. . . but she says the same thing: moisten and toss ****PERSONAL TIPS****BUT OMG, I didn't know what to do, because I had I just covered it with my last drop of ganache (and I had no more white chocolate to make more, and no time for ganache to set up anyway). So, I wasn't sure what to use to stick the sprinkles with--I had no more chocolate, and I knew corn syrup and/or would just bead up on top of the ganache. I had frozen the cake before...
I've read as many sprinkle cake posts as I can, but most just describe how to get sprinkles onto the sides of cakes, not the best way to get a nice even, thick, completely-covering coat of sprinkles for a true "sprinkle cake." Anyone have any suggestions!? I have a three-layer chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream (BakingJeannie's recipe for Fluffy American Buttercream that's close to SMBC) and white chocolate ganache outside. I thought that if I covered it with a...
No idea! It sort of looks like an orchid on steroids I'd look at a website that sells a wide selection of sugar flowers and just browse through them for something that looks like that; them see what they call it It could also be the artist's made up flower!
I forgot to note that I found a nice bright red beet powder at Barry Farm's website. I think you can get that brand on Amazon, too